Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 8 week old puppy last Sunday, and besides Monday morning, I've gotten up after him each time. (There's two others in the house, one always has to get up at 7 so he takes Charlie out.) Since I'm sick, and one of the symptoms is fatigue, I get up last most of the time. It seems that every time, when I head down to the couch he goes CRAZY. He'll start play nipping me, play growling (We've noticed a difference between play and the leave me a lone.) He also nips at our heels? He's 1/4 Poodle, 3/4 Cocker spaniel... He tends to 'pick' on me the most, but I'm also tinier.

Is this normal puppy behavior? I think it is, but he doesn't go super crazy for the other two in the house, only me. :confused:

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
totally normal ;) sounds like he is expressing his excitement at seeing you...

i would make sure to establish with him now that you don't really like all the nipping... you can try the "ouch" method... a loud, high pitched "ouch" every time he nips you, followed by your IMMEDIATELY disengaging from him (turning all of your attention away, sorta snobby or leaving the room for a moment) takes time, but works well... you can also be prepared with toys for him to get instead of you...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Normal! My puppy would get the craziest when I went to lie down on the couch and would definately chew on me and whine a lot. He grew out of it, eventually. Try to exhaust him before you try to relax- a tired dog is a well behaved dog : )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there!

Yeah, I would also say it's normal:)

As soon as a puppy is born, their personality starts to shape. Their genetics play a major role when they are forming character, but you can actually control how your puppy will adjust to the environment. That means your role has a huge responsibility. The most rapid learning takes place between the 4th and 16th week in a puppy's life.

So as you see, it's very important that you are well prepared when you decide to get yourself a puppy, which I'm sure you was. You have to be committed to make the most out of this period (4th – 16th week) and you need to incorporate behavior training and personality shaping into the daily
routines you have.

This is actually very easy to do, but you have to be aware of it so that you take action and actually realize how important this short period of time is in a dog's life. The dog's mind is very open the first 15-21 days and its senses are very sharp during this period. Your dog is going to experience a whole lot of new things with you during this period, and it's important you make those experiences as positive as possible.

You should cease this opportunity and make sure you do as many things as you can the right way. During this period you will have an incredible opportunity to easily establish, shape and form your dog's habits and develop its behavior pattern.

Good luck!:)

Joachim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad it's normal. He's getting a bit better and not being SO hyper. He's still really hyper when he sees me though. :)

Joachim, I'm for sure taking every chance I can to socialize him. A lot of kids like to pet him while Charlie and I are in the backyard, since I live in a townhouse complex. And thanks, I'll make sure to take every chance I do get.

I guess this is behavior...he REALLY likes to nip. It's play nipping, but the thing is, we're doing the 'OW!' and turning away for a few seconds, but he just keeps nipping. Do you just keep saying ow loudly until he stops, or what? He loves to bite toes especially.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like he picked you as his main person :) Just use a high piched "OW!" when he nipps. If he keeps up stay very still, he'll quit. Praise him when he does. If you push him away he will take that as play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts