Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 105-110 pound golden doodle. He has always been about 95 pounds since he was young and skinny so he is not super over weight but recently since we have gotten a second dog he likes to steal her leftovers and has been getting a little chubby. He is also 5 years old. We have noticed he walks a little odd for a while, even before he gained weight and just though it was because he was very big. I recently realized one of the reasons it looks so odd when he walked and especially when he runs. His hock ankles where it almost looks like an elbow on his rear legs almost flexes when he walks. I’m not exactly sure how to describe it but when he runs this point On the back of his leg almost hits the ground with every step. He has been to the vet many times and always been in good health but we are worried about early joint problems. I just want to know if anyone has experienced/noticed this in their dog and is it normal and just part of how he walks or is it a concern? We will definitely ask the vet next time he needs to go for a routine visit but just want to make sure we don’t need to schedule an appointment soon to get this looked at.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That for sure sounds like a large golden/poodle mix. Are you sure there’re not other breeds in him? How high is he (to the withers)? It sounds weird to me that a dog would get that much bigger (at least 35 pounds heavier) than the breeds its mixed with. Just out of curiosity I would love to see pictures of him and his size.

Larger dogs are more prone to hip/joint problems and if they’re also over weight that of course increases the stress on the joints as well. It’s great that you’re aware that he’s a bit chubby and I would definitely recommend you to slim him down and build muscles in advantage for his joints. Cut down on the food and don’t let him eat the other dogs food. However, before you start exercise him too much I would take him to the vet. Have he been examined especially for this issue?

It’s really hard to know if he is just walking a bit funny or if it’s due to a more serious issue. A video would help, but either way I definitely think you should take him to the vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts