Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 6 1/2 week old puppy boxer/doberman x, and when i took him to the vets, he only weighed in @ 2.5 lbs. doesnt that seem small or is it just me? any advice? i have a pic if you want to see

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not sure about the weight, but I do think 6 1/2 weeks is pretty early to be taken away from mom and litter mates. What did the vet think about his weight?

Yes, I'd love to see a picture!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, i know he is young for that. he had 14 other littermates, and mom wasn't doing so good. The vet said he was normal weight for the age, but i guess i forget to ask him about the breed.here is a pic of him, got only the face.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow, 14 littermates?! That could be the reason for his smaller size. He sure is adorable!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree with 3neighs...with 14 littermates and the mom not doing well, poor dear, Im thinking that all the pups might have been small. He sure is a sweet looking little guy! Are you feeding him a supplement since he was taken from his mama so soon?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Holy Cow he is super duper cute. I also agree that is early to be taken from his parents. But best of luck to you and your new baby!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, i am feeding him puppy milk supplement mixed with either dry puppy food, or canned puppy food 3-5 times a day. He eats all the time, and has a sweet temperament. Loves to cuddle, but that is I guess due to having so many littermates. I know I have heard that by the size of the paws is how big they will be, and he has tiny paws. Do you think he will actually be a 50 pound dog when he has had a slow start? Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
At 6 1/2 weeks I would think it's still a little too early to tell. I'd wait another couple of weeks. He very well could be a 50# dog even with the slow start, but if not, he sure will be adorable and you are a very good pet parent to give him a chance and a good start!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After alot of investigating, I am really thinking that he is younger than they told me. He gained a pound in a week, but his development stage is at about 4 weeks. It really frustrates me to even think about it, but I really think the lady who told me his age was only trying to get rid of them, and I should of known better. No wonder why I haven't had a good night sleep in a week. LOL Thanks for everyone's help. I will keep you all in touch with how he is doing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, he does seem really small for 6 1/2 weeks especially for a boxer/doberman x. I don't know how big Boxers are, but Dobermans are around 5-10 pounds or more at 6 1/2 weeks. Good luck with your beautiful new baby!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok he is reaching the 6 week point, and he weighs in a almost 5 pounds, so he is growing by the minute!! I guess just a late bloomer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a 6 1/2 week old puppy boxer/doberman x, and when i took him to the vets, he only weighed in @ 2.5 lbs. doesnt that seem small or is it just me? any advice? i have a pic if you want to see
What did the vet say? he would know more. That does seem small for a breed such as that .Is the doberman full size breed? Six weeks is average to be taken from litter and weaned though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts