Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever one of my beagles gets into some food (whether it's the trash, something that was left on the counter, or the dog food) he always gets a HUGE belly immediately after eating it. It's really noticeable, and it goes away completely within a few days.

This doesn't happen to my other two beagles at all. Is it normal? What does it mean? Why doesn't it happen to the other two?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That really sounds like bloat to me...?? Maybe someone else knows what it could be?
Bloat in Dogs

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That really sounds like bloat to me...?? Maybe someone else knows what it could be?
Bloat in Dogs

Hmm... I'm not sure if that's it. Bloat sounds pretty serious, and this has happened to him several times with no ill effects. Also, it says that his stomach wouldn't be gurgling if he had bloat, and his stomach gurgles really loudly whenever it happens.

Thanks for the guess, though!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I agree-if it's gurgly sounds like gas...I'd try to keep him out of the garbage (A feat with beagles-I know ;) )

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree-if it's gurgly sounds like gas...I'd try to keep him out of the garbage (A feat with beagles-I know ;) )
Haha, I know. I've had my two beagles for ten years and they never even thought about trying to get into the trash. I adopted an old beagle a little over a year ago and he's horrible about the trash!

My trash can is just like this: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base_images/zp/pull_out_trash_1.jpg

He opens the drawer and pulls the entire trash bag out of the trash can. I put a child lock on it, and he chewed it apart. I finally found a child lock that he can't chew apart, but it's SUCH a pain to open and close. Now the only time he gets into the trash is when someone forgets to close the lock.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't imagine it being anything else...unless the dog is just plain full...gurgling and bloating sounds like gas to me :)

holy cow he busts into a pull out trash can???

He sure does. He uses his paws to pull it out. He also jumps ONTO my 3-foot-tall kitchen counter, and escapes out of his crate:

YouTube - Jake escaping

1 - 13 of 13 Posts