Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to this, but I'm planning on flying out my dog in China back to Canada to live with me. I'm going back over the summer, but I know that brachycephalic dog breeds have difficulties with high temperatures and stress, causing heat strokes and breathing problems. If I bring these dogs back, they will most likely be on a cargo plane for over 12 hours in their crates. So before I make plans to make this happen, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether these two dogs are considered brachycephalic breeds and if they are more susceptible than normal to heat strokes/breathing problems under stress and high temperatures. Thank you in advance!

PS- if anyone has any experience with bringing a from China to Canada (via cargo flights), please let me know if you used a pet relocation agency or if you did it yourself (and what airline), or any helpful tips/information would be nice too. Thanks : )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Brachy breeds have "flat faces". Think of pugs, boston terriers, french bulldogs, and even boxers!;)

As far as transporting dog from China to Canada, I have no clue!
You would want to talk to the airline about their policies and requirements as well as find out what Canadian officials are going to need! I hope someone can give you more info or point you in the right direction.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The only reason I'm concerned that they might be considered snub nosed is because I heard pit bulls are snub nosed breeds, but their faces aren't that flat, which confused me a little and made we wonder if the black puppy was snub faced.

& I've looked into Canada's guidelines to bringing dogs across the border, but I will look into contacting the airlines about their policies once I'm in China : )

·
Registered
498 Posts
Aww, they're adorable :) The lighter one actually has similar markings to my girl Sandy even though Sandy is MUCH larger (50 lbs). Even if the black one counts as a snub nosed breed, I think you should be ok. Its early enough in the year that I doubt your pups will be exposed to very warm temperatures during the flight, which greatly reduces the heat stroke risk.

I'm not sure how cargo flights treat their animals, but passenger flights will usually allow you to send animals even if you're not on the plane. That's how breeders usually ship their puppies. It depends on the airline used, but the ones I've heard of keep the dogs in a temperature controlled section of the cargo, so they shouldn't be exposed to extreme heat/cold. You'll definitely want to talk to the airline you're considering and see what their policy is and make sure you're comfortable with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. What breed is Sandy? I find that the two dogs look like miniature versions of lab mixes or some kind of shepherd. I have no idea what their breeds are. I guess I didn't mention when I was flying them in my original post, but I'm actually planning on flying them out in August (that's when I'll be returning from China), I'm scared the high temperatures will cause them discomfort, and the last thing I want is to find out when I arrive in Canada is that they passed away on the 12+ hour flight. Hopefully airlines will be able to accommodate my dogs, but we will see... :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ahh, yeah, August would definitely be the peak of the summer weather, so its good you're looking into it. Definitely talk to the airline and make sure you're comfortable with how they treat their pet cargo, and if you don't like it, I've heard some airlines will let you take the pups on as carry-on cargo on passenger flights.

We've been told that Sandy is a Collie/Cattle Dog/Lab mix, but she very easily could have more than that in her. It's funny because my mother in law recently adopted a dog that also looks like a miniature version of her as well :) Mom doesn't know what breed she is though, as she and her sister were dumped by the side of the road. I'll see if I can post comparison pics on a diff thread later once I get Sandy to not hide from the camera ;)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Nope they are not as its been stated. So that shouldn't be a problem. Nor are Pit Bulls a brachycephalic breed. Those breeds have short pushed in noses English Bulldogs. A Pit being brachycephalic would be a hinderance to them in the pit fighting ring which is what they were historically bred for. It would hinder not just grip but wind, they wouldn't be able to breath well which is important for any athlete. It leads to exhuastion and lower blood oxygen level. Pits muzzle should be 2/3rds the length of the skull. I'm sure this is more than you wanted to know.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope they are not as its been stated. So that shouldn't be a problem. Nor are Pit Bulls a brachycephalic breed. Those breeds have short pushed in noses English Bulldogs. A Pit being brachycephalic would be a hinderance to them in the pit fighting ring which is what they were historically bred for. It would hinder not just grip but wind, they wouldn't be able to breath well which is important for any athlete. It leads to exhuastion and lower blood oxygen level. Pits muzzle should be 2/3rds the length of the skull. I'm sure this is more than you wanted to know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks so much for the detailed information! It really helped and put my mind at ease. I guess what I read about pitbulls weren't exactly a reliable source... But regardless, thanks for the reply : )
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
What is a brachycephalic breed? They're adorable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! Brachycephalic breeds are "snub nosed" breeds. They're basically dogs with flat faces. Pugs would be the typical snub nosed breed that comes to mind when I think of brachycephalic breeds. Hope that was somewhat informative? Sorry if it isn't :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts