Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to adopt this dog but just not sure if it's actually what breed the humane society says it is. Anyone have any input?

https://imgur.com/a/X4pxn46

·
Registered
46 Posts
No idea. But there are apps you can download to your phone and then upload the picture and the app will guess what breed it is.
While trying to guess our record I downloaded 6 different apps. They were all free.

I don't feel like the apps were all that accurate (I have a mixed breed) and the same picture in different apps would give me a different breed. And different pictures of my dog would give me different dogs in the same app.
But it's something for you to try.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
No, it's not. That is almost certainly a bully breed mix. The two listed breeds aren't very common so it's rather unlikely to be them when you also factor in the physical characteristics that are much more lab/bully than either listed breed.

Bullies can be lovely dogs but if you rent I would avoid them due to the difficulty of finding rentals that refuse to have bullies.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My Puma pup looks like this dog

Hi. The picture of the dog you are thinking about looks very similar to my Puma pup! Funny bc when people meet her they have often mentioned Vizla and Pharaoh Hound as well! One guy who saw her swore she must be part Pharaoh Hound. She is very deep chested. And she does howl like a hound dog....

I was originally told she was Lab/Pit mix when I adopted her. Her siblings (if they really were her siblings, I have no idea about the truth from the people who had her) were definately strong Pit mix, dark brown brindle striped, and three times the size of Puma as 3 month old pups. They did not look anything like my Puma, so who knows if they were even her siblings?

Other people comment that my Puma is part:

1)Sharpei (she has lots of wrinkly skin on her face/neck)
2)Rhodesian Ridge back (she has the fur texture and does get the raised line down her back at times)
3)Vizla bc of her very green intense eyes
4) German shepherd or red heeler--she is super intelligent and loves a job! Her pic below shows her feeding her kitty.

Personally I think she is a mix of who knows what??? Maybe all of the above.

PS. Gracie dog is on the left, Puma pup on right.

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
More of my Puma pup's pics for you to compare!

Here are some more pics of my Puma pup to compare.

1)Dad working impulse control with Sparky, Gracie and Puma

2)Dad and Puma snuggling in for a nap at my shop. Such hard workers!

3)Puma pup at 5 months old. She was 9.4 lbs at 3 months old. Now she is one year old, 54 lbs.

Notice the white chest and paws like the dog you are looking at, also green eyes, pink nose and pink ears. And similar fur texture/color.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If she was part Ridgeback the hair that stands up on their back is permanently standing up thus the name Ridgeback. Many dogs put their hackles up, it does not mean they are part Rhodesian Ridgeback.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If she was part Ridgeback the hair that stands up on their back is permanently standing up thus the name Ridgeback. Many dogs put their hackles up, it does not mean they are part Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Ahh, good call! I have heard many different things about the ridge on actual Rhodesians. So good to know that the hair would be permanently standing up, even on a mix.
Thank you for clarifying on that. :)

I have had several people ask if she is part Rhodesian. I don't know much about that breed at all. Does she look to you at all like she could be part Rhodesian? Why would people think that?

Everyone who sees Puma seems to see something different in her...not sure why. I am tempted to do a DNA test on her bc she seems very different than other dogs I've had...and besides then I may have an actual answer about her breed mix.

But are doggie DNA tests accurate? I have heard mixed reviews on those so I will probably not do the test. At least for now.

But then again, no matter what odd mix Puma is, I love her no matter what. :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Without doing a DNA test on the dog you won't know accurately what the dog is. The most expensive DNA tests are supposed to be the most accurate. They test for health condition and diseases too so may be worth the price. I went with the middle priced test on my dog and I'm glad I did Because it helped me understand him better. That helped me motivate him and bond with him much more strongly.
It was right about his color, said he was black or black brindle. There's no way to test for brindle. It wasn't until a bigger dog hurt him a few months ago and be had his face shaved that I saw his skin on his face is all dark brindle. His first is all solid black/brown. People think he's a chocolate lab but he had very little lab in him and his mind and characteristics are much more like the breeds he has more of in him.
Next to a true chocolate lab that I watched he looks black and not at all. Chocolate.
Athenalove, there's a pure Rhodesian ridgeback and a few crosses at the dog park I go to. They're huge, about 100 pounds yet have a slender build. Your pup has more of a sticky pitbull or bull dog build from my quick glance.
Then again looks are very deceiving and only DNA testing is accurate. Some studies said that the last majority of vets and shelter staff who guessed at breeds to place dogs were completely wrong.

My dog is a quarter Chow Chow. Other than black spots on his tongue he looks nothing like it at all. But one personality traits is they get along better with opposite sex dogs and can fight with dogs of the sane sex. That's him to a tee. He's also independent and stubborn and extremely protective, so his personality firs a lot of the breed characteristics. He's also a quarter boxer and plays like one, lots of front paw "boxing". Always gives people and me his paws for attention. Just like a boxer I walk sometimes. Very much a breed attribute buy again looks nothing like one and is much bigger than both breeds.
Third quarter is German Shepherd. That's where his size fits, and his intelligence, separation anxiety, loyalty, toughness, need for a job, herding tendencies and also more protectiveness.
His little bit of lab give him his looks and easy going happy overall agreeableness. The little bit of American Staffordshire make him tough, strong and not back down when he does get angry or another dog initiates a fight, very rarely.
It's been very helpful to me to know the breeds and see his physical traits and personality and quirks and learn about each breed and see how genetics plays into his funny unique quirks.
I love to analyze though lol.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Lol it's my stupid phone again with it's autocorrect turning stocky into sticky. Just like whenever I type love it changes it to live. And makes real words into complete nonsense so I look like an idiot lol.
I hate this phone and my phone provider. One day I'm going to throw the stupid phone right out the window. I keep idly shopping other providers to compare prices but never switch.

So anyway, I think she has a stockier build and is a lot smaller than the Rhodesian ridgebacks I've seen but she'd definitely be growing if she was one of those.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
So many people just look at the color of a dog and think it is a certain breed or part because of the color. Ridgebacks are a big dog, they do not have any sort of prick ear, their ears hand down like a hound. Males are about 90 lbs.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Puma's eyes--the story of how "blindness" got her adopted by us

Lol it's my stupid phone again with it's autocorrect turning stocky into sticky. Just like whenever I type love it changes it to live. And makes real words into complete nonsense so I look like an idiot lol.
I hate this phone and my phone provider. One day I'm going to throw the stupid phone right out the window. I keep idly shopping other providers to compare prices but never switch.

So anyway, I think she has a stockier build and is a lot smaller than the Rhodesian ridgebacks I've seen but she'd definitely be growing if she was one of those.
Hahaha. I finally figured out how to completely TURN OFF the damn autocorrect on my phone!! It was driving me absolutely crazy!! I am so much happier now!! Look up on google how to turn it off if it is annoying you, too.

Ok, so I wasn't saying at all that Puma is Rhodesian or anything else. I was just saying what others see in her.

As far as sticky, oops stocky build:) lol...
Puma actually is quite lean and not stocky at all. Maybe the pics aren't showing that. Seems that I have taken a zillion photos of her and many of them look completely different. Weird, huh? Gracie and Sparky's pics...they always look the same. Go figure.

(But we do get asked all the time what breed Puma is. Some days I wish I knew for sure so I could answer people more accurately.)

Most everyone comments on her eyes, saying how beautiful they are. Very intense eyes. She has a very serious, older look to her. Even as a younger puppy.[

I] It is most ironic---her eyes are actually why we adopted her[/I]. We thought she was blind or partially blind when we met her.

Story went...I noticed she was could not see anything up close. I told the dumbass people that were selling her, they laughed, I cried, and then my sig other gave them their stinkin' price of $15 for her. Fifteen measly bucks--that is what her life was worth to these people. Sigh.

He said he simply could not in good faith hand her back to the disgusting dirty crate where 5 other pups (who were way bigger than her and fighting at this point)were staying all day in the Texas heat. Gross red kibble on crate floor sitting in dog pee. Nice. No water. I offered to walk a pup to give it a break from the disgusting crate. Sorry, they had no leash either. Omg.

I said "Huh???? We are taking another dog home with us???? Are you crazy??? Have you completely lost your mind?!!?"

He said we would "help her"... and we would figure it out. That was one year ago....

Why was I crying? I was so terrified that she would be sold to some family and not told about her blind "handicap"--- and the new people could end up ditching her when they found out or would not know how to help a blind dog and then end up ditching her. Esp bc she is supposedly part pit...and we all know that can be a strike against a dog to some people...:(

Turns out she was not blind after all--she just was so dehydrated and malnourished that her vision was impacted. Her full eyesight came back the next day after we had her, thank heavens.

But those pretty green eyes, the nearly blind ones---that is why Puma is with us. Funny how life turns out, huh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
After being a dog owner for going on 40 years, purebred as well as mixes, I would try to avoid getting caught up in what breed the dog is. You could drive yourself nuts. Sometimes the actual truth would surprise you, and a great dog might miss out, and so would you.

The primary things (to me) are temperament and health. Temperament test the dog when you visit, and after that just go with your gut. Is this dog a good fit for your home? Is the energy correct for your lifestyle (low-energy dogs for people who don't go out much, higher energy for active people, etc.)? Does the dog seem to really like you and want to jump on you and lick your face, or does it keep its distance, with a cautious vibe? I'd pick a dog who is alert and is very interested in you, smelling you, looking at you, engaging with you with relaxed and eager body language.

I've had mixes that died young of health problems, and purebred mastiffs that lived past 10 yrs with no health issues, as well as mixes that lived long healthy lives and purebred giant breeds that died at the age of 2! There is simply no way to tell with a dog you adopt what kind of health the parents have/had.

I agree with prior post that the dog likely has bully somewhere in there, but the dog seems not to have a cumbersome build like some, and has a great expression! It looks like it would be a very nice, medium-to-large size dog, but you have to spend time with him/her and decide based on your feelings when you interact with it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
O just want yo point out the dog you see in the shelter may be a very different dog once you take it home and it bonds with you and you train it and it trusts you.

I wouldn't recognize my current dog behaviorwise now compared to what I was told about him and what I saw and observed.
He's much more low energy than I anticipated. Thanks to a lot of work he's much more trusting and friendly and over almost all his issues, not perfect but certainly not the problem dog he was before. He's not aloof and shut down anymore but friendly and loves everyone and happily approaches people for pats and leans his head into their chest of his own free will.
He can be very sweet and charming and well trained. Not the escape artist he was before and since I make sure to take him out and let him run free every day for at least an hour or two or more he's very mellow and lazy the rest of the time.

On the shelter three years ago he was hyper and downright crazy with no attention span.

Truly a completely different dog. Driving home with him flying around the back if my car bouncing around and rolling down the windows himself k remember wondering what I had gotten myself into lol.

So a lot can change with time, training and trust. I trained him myself, I didn't spend tons of money on trainers either. I did seek out a behaviorist for separation anxiety.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Lol no very doubtful the dog looks like a Pit Bull / Shar Pei mix. If you're fine adopting that mix and can handle traits of those breeds then go for it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
So many people just look at the color of a dog and think it is a certain breed or part because of the color. Ridgebacks are a big dog, they do not have any sort of prick ear, their ears hand down like a hound. Males are about 90 lbs.
Funny, yet another person has stopped me and Puma just yesterday and said Puma looked just like their dog. I asked what breed was their dog.

Guess what they said?

Rhodesian Ridgeback and German Shepherd!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
A lot of shelters will go Out of their Way...to call a dog Anything but a pit mix. So take that with a grain of salt when a shelter has any kind of pit looking dog and the shelter has come up with everything under the sun but 'pit' in describing it's breeding.

Due to their reputation, many people would not adopt a pit mix, and thus the breed/name game with some shelters. Other times I think think it's just sheer ignorance of breeds that has some shelter workings guessing the breed of a dog. As mentioned...the two breed mixes listed are not all that common and the chance that 1 dog has both in the mix is going to be rare.

Stormy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts