Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The name of the breed is Tornjak. I want to hear what the cons and pros are of owning one of those dogs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi Brian1

That's a new one on me, never heard of it, but I would guess at some sort of Russian or eastern European sheepdog, just because it looks so much like my Karakachan (Bulgarian sheepdog) apart from coloring.

Mecho is very quiet and placid, likes everyone and everything, and doesn't really put a paw out of line. The one problem I have with him is that if I leave food on the counter he will climb up to steal it, even just a few crumbs. He's even been known to walk off with a bag of frozen peas when I was searching for something in the freezer. The bin is now hidden in a cupboard because he can smell food from yards away. Other than that he's a great dog, hope yours turns out to be the same.

I suppose one con with these dogs is that any health problems will cost a fortune at the vet's, just because of their size. I can't really think of any others.

I'm told sheepdogs generally are very loyal and protective, and just the size of him scares strangers away. When the lad from the electric company came to read the meter last month he said we didn't have to pay any more because he was too scared to come in, but sadly he was joking so we still have to pay lol.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Looks like it's a pretty good dog, but if you are one to have a bunch of company it might not be the breed for you considering that it guards it's property and is suspicious of strangers.
United Kennel Club: Tornjak

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Brian1

That's a new one on me, never heard of it, but I would guess at some sort of Russian or eastern European sheepdog, just because it looks so much like my Karakachan (Bulgarian sheepdog) apart from coloring.

Mecho is very quiet and placid, likes everyone and everything, and doesn't really put a paw out of line. The one problem I have with him is that if I leave food on the counter he will climb up to steal it, even just a few crumbs. He's even been known to walk off with a bag of frozen peas when I was searching for something in the freezer. The bin is now hidden in a cupboard because he can smell food from yards away. Other than that he's a great dog, hope yours turns out to be the same.

I suppose one con with these dogs is that any health problems will cost a fortune at the vet's, just because of their size. I can't really think of any others.

I'm told sheepdogs generally are very loyal and protective, and just the size of him scares strangers away. When the lad from the electric company came to read the meter last month he said we didn't have to pay any more because he was too scared to come in, but sadly he was joking so we still have to pay lol.
This dog (Tornjak) is from southeastern europe ( Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia). It looks alot like the Bulgarian sheepdog visually but I dont know how similar they are otherwise. I giggled at the lad from electric company :)

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like it's a pretty good dog, but if you are one to have a bunch of company it might not be the breed for you considering that it guards it's property and is suspicious of strangers.
United Kennel Club: Tornjak
Well I can't have the dog now sadly due to my position in current time but I wish to have a dog later in life, maybe 3-5 years? I don't mind a dog being loyal to me as a owner and only obeying me as his master even if it means that he will be suspicius of strangers. I find it sweet that the dog will only be having the owner as a trustworthy companion.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts