Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has what looks like a tick on the back of her ear. She's very nervous so would like to avoid taking her to the vet if possible to avoid any unnecessary stress, but of course this is probably not an option. I have attached a photo of the suspect, sorry it isn't a clearer picture but you can see a sac like object protruding from her hair. Is there anything it could be that's not a tick?

The pic isn't the best as I was using two hands to hold the dog and hair while someone else took it. The forum has also told me it will be resized so not sure exactly what it will look like when uploaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
It could be- it's hard to tell from a blurry picture. Did you remove it? It should be clear if its a tick once it's off, unless it was removed incorrectly and the head is still stuck to her.

My vet in NYC recommends a heartworm blood test after a tick is found, because it tests for a few tick-borne diseases as well. I live in NYC, but my family has a house on Long Island in a very deer-heavy area. There are also TONS of ticks there. Out there, we've had vets give us lyme's disease handouts and tell us to keep an eye on the dogs and know the symptoms, but they don't recommend a battery of blood tests every time you find a tick because it would be cost prohibitive. I personally don't feel the need to blood test my pup even though we found like 5 ticks on her, we just put her on preventative. It's up to you what to do.

Get her on a preventative, though, if she's regularly in areas with a lot of ticks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's very hard to tell from the picture but the best way to tell is to prod it with tweezers and see if you can see little legs wiggling about. That's how we check in the salon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts