Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my 5 month old German Shepherd, some people have been telling me that this might be a mixed german shepherd, also someone told me that this breed have been breed in america to have a higher back than the original (Not an American GSD however) What im sure of that he's a working breed.
So does this look like a purebred GSD or mixed? And if it's a mixed GSD, do you have any idea what is it mixed with?
Replies appreciated :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, I didn't know the pictures will end up being enormously huge lol
Excuse me for that

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It happens, lol. Those white patches are not ideal on a GSD, but they don't mean he's a mixed breed. That dog looks 100% GSD to me. Gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Your pup is beautiful by the way. IMO I don't like how overly slanted and curved the spins of gsd and I think yours is awesome. Let me ask you this. Did you do heavy research on the breeder of your pup? Do you trust your breeder of your pup? If you answered yes then you shouldn't let anyone else tell you otherwise. To me, your pup looks purebred.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
He looks pure GSD to me. People are getting used to seeing the extremely sloped backs on the show line, they may also not know that the coat can be longer, and that may be why they are saying he's mixed, .

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Wow, I didn't know the pictures will end up being enormously huge lol
Excuse me for that
LOL...

A little off topic.... but this is why I send all my photo's through photobucket so I can use their edit button and resize my photos.
I think too, if you reduce the resolution in your camera...then you get smaller photos. Not sure about that though. My digital camera broke a few years back and I've been having to take not so great photos using my Kindle. I think they are a little blurry.
Anyway...had to laugh at your response... I can remember doing something similar and was shocked at how big the photos came out...lol.

Your dog is beautiful...btw. I don't know enough about German Shepherds to tell a full breed from a mixed sometimes.
I also always tend to think of German Shepherds as not being so dark...but more browns/tans with that saddle look on their back. I would have probably guessed Belgium Shepherd or mix of...when seeing a darker looking dog like that.
I know some horses start out really dark and lighten up as they age...do German Shepherds do that? Like lose their puppy fur and come out with that more brownish tan coloring? Or are there just some strains of German Shepherds that have really dark coats?

Stormy

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
There should be an option in the vbb admin settings to have the forum display pictures up to a set max resolution.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yep, looks shepherd to me! There's a ..sub-breed?? that has much longer fur than rin tin tin style shepherds. Like shorthair and rough collies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the replies everyone! Appreciated :)

@StormyPeak
Haha, yes mine actually did that, when we first got him he was completely black furred, at around 3-4 months he became full tan/orange, then, black fur returned, starting from his back and then spreading to other body parts and eventually became like this, weird lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I also always tend to think of German Shepherds as not being so dark...but more browns/tans with that saddle look on their back. I would have probably guessed Belgium Shepherd or mix of...when seeing a darker looking dog like that.
I know some horses start out really dark and lighten up as they age...do German Shepherds do that? Like lose their puppy fur and come out with that more brownish tan coloring? Or are there just some strains of German Shepherds that have really dark coats?
Dogs' colors can and do change as they get older. Our Husky had really dark "goggles" when he was a little fluffy thing and now they're all but gone. German Shepherds can come in black, sable, white, blue, liver, and fawn with varying degrees of masks and saddles as well as coming in bi-color.

·
Registered
876 Posts
..I can't disagree more, Dawnben. This dog looks like every long-haired shepherd I've ever seen, including the distinctive shepherd saddle, and that's far more likely than a fairly unusual breed such as a Tervuren, which doesn't have such a feature.

Edit: https://www.google.com/search?q=long+haired+german+shepherd&biw=1280&bih=857&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI5dHMjaqQyAIViRU-Ch1ioQKC here's a googlesearch for long haired shepherds! They do seem to generally be darker than shorter-haired ones.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Yes, absolutely GSD. They have long haired one just as Huskies do.

I think he's beautiful.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm pretty sure hes a pure GSD. They come in many different colors. I have also seen long and shorter haired German Shepherds. You have a great looking dog. Don't let anyone tell you different.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
He looks like a purebred long-haired German Shepherd which is a less popular variety. My uncle had one and she was beautiful. He looks like Tiki, and I know she was from Champion Canadian lines. Your guy is a beauty too! People just don't know what sort of variety there is among certain purebreds. And yes, the white fleck on the chest happens, though it is a fault. Here's a larger picture of Tiki for reference of a long-haired German Shepherd. Although he's not fully grown so his coat isn't full yet. Invest in a good vacuum!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
if the dog has no official papers, you can not say it's purebred, since you can not track back the ancestory like that... but he looks a lot like a German Shepherd.
When the dog is around a year, i'd get his hips x-rayed and the angle of hindlegs checked if I were you.
it could be because he's standing a bit twisted on the photo, but i think his hind legs looks a bit weird.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
if the dog has no official papers, you can not say it's purebred, since you can not track back the ancestory like that... but he looks a lot like a German Shepherd.
When the dog is around a year, i'd get his hips x-rayed and the angle of hindlegs checked if I were you.
it could be because he's standing a bit twisted on the photo, but i think his hind legs looks a bit weird.
I thought you couldn't check for HD until 2 years?

I think any large breed dog should at least be evaluated by a knowledgeable vet. HD is less common in mixed breeds, but it can pop up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts