Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying this dog thuraday which is being advertised as pedigree mastiff.

I just think it looks a bit small for a mastiff. I have searched online and found dogs that look twice the size at the same age.

It is 8 weeks old on Thursday.

Do you think it is a mastiff or another breed? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
it is sometimes difficult to see with puppies.
It looks at least a lot like there is some kind of Mollosser in it.
it's cute. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's molloster? Thanks lol

Never mind I now know lol.

I understand that but It looks tiny.. We are after a larger dog and do not wish to buy the dog if it turns out to be mixed with a jack Russell for example lol

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I can't see photos on my phone but I will tell you this: if you doubt the breed of a supposedly pedigreed dog you are buying, DON'T buy them! It's clear you don't trust this breeder and that's a big enough red flag to not buy a dog. Breeders who are good give you thorough backgrounds about their dogs, their health, kennels and lineage. You should also meet the mama dog. If this person didn't do that, ask for it. If s/he refuses, that's a bad sign.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What's molloster? Thanks lol

Never mind I now know lol.

I understand that but It looks tiny.. We are after a larger dog and do not wish to buy the dog if it turns out to be mixed with a jack Russell for example lol
Mollosser are a certain type of dogs. mostly big and relatively muscular, with broad head, brachycephalic head.
Among others English Bulldog, Great dane, Rottweiler, the Mastiff breeds, Boxer, the bullterrier breeds, some of the lifestock guarding breeds, Schweizer Sennenhund, St. berhard. :)

All big dogs start quite small. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
What mastiff breed is this pup supposed to be?
With that ear set and lack of loose skin just doesn't look like the purebred Mastiff (English) or Bullmastiff pups I've seen...
I could believe mix but based on those pics I doubt purebred.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I can't see photos on my phone but I will tell you this: if you doubt the breed of a supposedly pedigreed dog you are buying, DON'T buy them! It's clear you don't trust this breeder and that's a big enough red flag to not buy a dog. Breeders who are good give you thorough backgrounds about their dogs, their health, kennels and lineage. You should also meet the mama dog. If this person didn't do that, ask for it. If s/he refuses, that's a bad sign.
Yes! ^^^^

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What mastiff breed is this pup supposed to be?
With that ear set and lack of loose skin just doesn't look like the purebred Mastiff (English) or Bullmastiff pups I've seen...
I could believe mix but based on those pics I doubt purebred.
I'd also expect the nose to be a bit broader and shorter.
do you have a picture of the mother, TS?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exactly what I thought, it's not a breeder selling the dog, it's someone who can't have the dog due to work commitments.

The dog looks a bit scrawny to be a mastiff.. But the seller has sent me a lot of photos and of the mom and dad too, which are both mastiff of the same colour.

It might just be the scrawny pup of the litter.. Paws look too big to be anything small lol... So might just be a waiting game for him to grow

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If he's scrawny I'd be worried about future health issues.

If you want my honest opinion I can't see a drop of mastiff in that puppy other than color. The ears are wrong, the face is long and not squished, and at two months the puppy should be bulking up.

I wouldn't buy this dog if I were you.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That doesn't look like any kind of mastiff I've ever seen. My coonhound was bigger at 8 weeks than that puppy and he matured around 60lbs. What kind of mastiff is it being advertised as?
Yeah my Aussie was bigger and thicker than that at 2 months and Mastiffs are about four of him now and he's almost full grown.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Agreed, I don't see Mastiff. It seems VERY small.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've now seen the pictures. It looks like a 6-7 week old bully breed mix. Most definitely NOT a Mastiff, and I doubt he's even half Mastiff. Don't buy the dog unless it's just a small fee under $100 and they've gotten him shots. But really I wouldn't want to give irresponsible people like this money

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've now seen the pictures. It looks like a 6-7 week old bully breed mix. Most definitely NOT a Mastiff, and I doubt he's even half Mastiff. Don't buy the dog unless it's just a small fee under $100 and they've gotten him shots. But really I wouldn't want to give irresponsible people like this money
Irresponsible cough liars ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts