Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im a person that is allergic to dogs and cats, and I've been searching for a dog that is NOT allergic . I found this cute female poodle, I searched online if this poodle is hypoallergenic and it said it is the best decision for an allergic person. But im still nervous to take it home because if I feel the allergy Im screwed. So my question to the experts is : is this dog good for allergic people like me? Thanks :huddle:

Picture : https://postimg.org/image/a96hlsw21/

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Some people will say that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog.

That is NOT true, there absolutely are.

The confusion comes from people thinking that "hypoallergenic" means "non allergenic." Hypo actually means less. They are "less allergenic."

Essentially that means a hypoallergenic dog is less likely to cause a reaction in someone who is allergic, or they will cause a less severe reaction. Some people don't have any reaction to some dogs. But it is an individual thing- it depends on you, and it depends on the individual dog. These variables can include whether you're allergic to dander or saliva, how sensitive you are, the coat type of the dog, how much allergens the dog produces, the diet the dog is on, etc.

Many people with allergies do very well with poodles and other dogs with poodle-like coats, like Bichons, Portuguese water dogs, and mixes with curly or wavy single coats like that. My mom is allergic to dogs but does great with poodles and poodle mixes.

If you know you do well with poodles, then she will probably be fine for you. Either way, you should definitely meet the dog first to be sure she won't cause an allergic reaction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people will say that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog.

That is NOT true, there absolutely are.

The confusion comes from people thinking that "hypoallergenic" means "non allergenic." Hypo actually means less. They are "less allergenic."

Essentially that means a hypoallergenic dog is less likely to cause a reaction in someone who is allergic, or they will cause a less severe reaction. Some people don't have any reaction to some dogs. But it is an individual thing- it depends on you, and it depends on the individual dog. These variables can include whether you're allergic to dander or saliva, how sensitive you are, the coat type of the dog, how much allergens the dog produces, the diet the dog is on, etc.

Many people with allergies do very well with poodles and other dogs with poodle-like coats, like Bichons, Portuguese water dogs, and mixes with curly or wavy single coats like that. My mom is allergic to dogs but does great with poodles and poodle mixes.

If you know you do well with poodles, then she will probably be fine for you. Either way, you should definitely meet the dog first to be sure she won't cause an allergic reaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
The sucky answer is really it totally depends on the person and the dog.

My sister's boyfriend is super allergic to dogs. He just about died when he came to my house with my two long haired dogs. He grew up with a hypoallergenic dog - a poodle. He's extremely allergic to that dog too.

The only way to know for sure is to spend some time with the dog and see how you feel.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
15 Posts
You need to find a breeder and spend some time the the parent dogs.
My 11yoa daughter Tori has severe allergies to cats. Her reactions to dogs varies from minor-moderate. It mainly affects her respiratory system, kinda like asthma, over a period of 5 days after exposure and is treated with medication.
-We went with a Standard Poodle. On day 1, Tori had some skin reactions to the urine and saliva of the puppy(light rash). When we got home from picking up the puppy, tori's one eye was swollen from touching the pup and then her eye. We learned that the breeder also had cats and a boxer, and once we washed the pup, there was never another instance. Tori and our Standard Poodle get along great and we've had no additional allergy issues. We now have an airedale pup and she's had no reactions(but I was quick to wash the pup as soon as we brought him home.)
Allergies vary, so you should spend time with the breed. But be cautious if the breeder has other dogs or cats. Also know that the pup's urine and saliva can trigger things too. Good luck! Our poodle Jax is turning out to be an awesome family dog.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Like others have said, the only way to find out if 'you ' are allergic to poodles is to spend time with one! Great dogs...I have one LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts