Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got a puppy yesterday and went to see a vet this morning. I asked him to check if the dog was flea free and he told me he is.

But I found this bug on the dog today. Any clue what it can be? As I see the dog still hitching... :(

See picture attached

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oh no :( How come the Vet did not see it? Is it difficult to spot?
One thing a vet looks for is 'flea dirt'. Those are the droppings. If your puppy only has a few, then there won't be enough droppings for the vet to see. Also, If your puppy has long fur and is any color other than wight, or very light yellow, a flea will be almost impossible to find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. It is a very white Maltese puppy.

Anyway, is it a good idea to groom him then? I just sprayed him and his surrounding with a product called De Flea.

I prefer not to put a collar as I have small kids and they would surely touch it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Depending on your puppy's age, flea treatments can be dangerous. I recommend that you call your vet, tell them that you found a flea on your puppy, and ask what to do.
In the meantime, try a cat flea combs. They're smaller and easier to use on a small puppy than the ones made for dogs. My vet recommended one when my puppy had a few fleas and was too young for chemical treatments.

I don't use a flea collar for the same reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts