Dog Forum banner

Is this a embedded foxtail or a nail infection?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rain 
#1 · (Edited)
Background - We are in Cali, lots of foxtails. We take Jack for daily walks.
Additional complication, a couple of days back Jack jumped up on our mesh metal chair and got one of his toenails stuck in the metal mesh. My niece was watching him at the time and is not 100% it was this nail.

We have been putting hydrogen peroxide on what we thought was the infection along with polysporin to see if that would fix the issue. Its been a few days and the nail does not bubble like it used to, but there is swelling.

Going to make an appt with the vet, but Im not sure how long we will have to wait until he can be seen. I would like to get an idea of whats going on before going to the vet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/zRxqw
https://imgur.com/a/v6kvp

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
"It's been a few days"... // ?!?!?!

I'm not even going to look at the photo/s - GET TO THE VET. Tonight, or tomorrow - who cares if it's Sunday? - that's not the dog's fault, the injury was days ago, & the vet's office was OPEN for business, at the time.

Claws connect directly to bone; an infection can mean the loss of a toe, or even worse, a paw amputation. // Do U really want to put a prosthetic on yer dog for the rest of his life? :headshake:
An aggressive bone-infection is fast-moving & hard to treat, because it's deep in the body. Bone-infections are high-risk; dogs can die of them.

No one, not even a vet, can Dx an injury via photo, & no-one but a vet can legally either Rx for or treat an animal who needs anything beyond simple 1st-Aid.

He doesn't need H2O2 & a band-aid - he needs a vet, & the sooner, the better, IMO & IME.
- terry

Terry Pride, certified Vets' Assistant; wildlife-rehab training, 6-yrs, WRI, Va.
PCA / CHHA; BLS-certified; Advanced 1st-Aid certified via Red Cross

#7 ·
That looks like an abscess to me, which means it's infected and will probably need to be drained then properly bandaged.

Hopefully you managed to get him to the vet!

Reactions: leashedForLife
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.