Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 7 month old border collie puppy and she has recently been desexed (3 weeks ago?)

She is completely toilet trained and has been for quite a while now, so the problem isn't happening indoors.

The past few days though, she has been waking up between 3-4am desperately wanting to go outside and go to the toilet, which she normally doesn't, she will wait till morning and till when I wake up before going to the toilet for the first time that day. So not only is she abnormally needing to urinate during the night, but when I walk her or take her to the dog park, every 2-3 minutes she needs to urinate again.

I'm worried she could have a urinary tract infection, but I want to be 100% sure something is wrong before I take her to the vet because I cannot afford unnecessary vet bills.

Could this be normal? Is there a way to fix it? Or is it more serious and requires veterinary attention?

Thankyou in advance :)

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Since this is such a big change in behavior I also would suspect something medical but there's no way to know for sure without a vet taking a look, unfortunately.

Give your vet a call, explain the symptoms and that you suspect a uti. You may be able to just bring in a fresh urine sample (instead of your dog for an exam) for analysis and go from there.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I second kmes. If you explain the symptoms to your vet it is entirely likely they will just have you bring in a urine sample for analysis. Shouldn't be too expensive. But I agree it does sound like a UTI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts