Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year old female (spayed)border collie called Gwen who i've had for 2 years, a 10 month old(castrated) yorkshire terrier called Ollie who i've had for about 8 months, and a just got Daisy, a border collie x (we think lurcher) who is not 1 yet and hasn't been spayed yet.

The two females fight when in the house and when out walking, they'll start over anything, like someone coming in the room or a change in voice tone. Gwen will start on Daisy because Daisy is playing with a reflection or a shadow, etc. If they aren't fighting, then Gwen is following Daisy EVERYWHERE, shes like a living shadow of Daisy.

Is there anyway I have get them to get along? I really don't want to send Daisy off when I've only just got her. At the moment they are separated and it just makes everything awkward and all they do is bark and growl at each other through the door.

I've been told to leave them to sort out the who's the more dominant one ( I wouldn't anyway, thought that piece of advice was ridiculous), but then I was told females fight till death.

Thank you so much if you can help! It would mean the world to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had 2 females that did not get along. I kept leashes and pinch collars on them in the house and every time one growl or showed agressive behavior I would correct them. It helps if there is another person in the house to help. Eventually they realized that I was not going to allow that type of behavior and that I was the alpha dog. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Have the new girl spayed. I used to run a boarding facility and could not take care of un-spayed or un-neutered dogs. I took care of a golden from when he was a pup and around 6 months the other male neutered dogs started picking on him. The owners neutered him and the problems stopped. I also had a intact male come once, all of the neutered males ganged up on him. The owners neutered him and when he came back there were no problems. You need to do it soon though before any bad behavior pattern is established.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts