Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I found out that blindness is very common in dogs with old age. My doggo has recently turned 5, and while I know that's not too old, I do worry. I read online that it's not that big deal for dogs as it would be for a human since they depend more on smell and hearing but still the idea sort of terrifies me and if I could do some things like idk gently clean her eyes or exercise more often I would gladly do it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Blindness in old dogs can be caused by different factors, some of them treatable, others not.

Oftentimes, blindness occurs in many dogs because of cataracts. Cataracts are a genetical condition, which means that they are hereditable. I was told that recent studies have proved that cataracts can be caused by the UV rays from the Sun, which means that we should protect our doggo's eyes from the Sun in order to prevent them from having cataracts. (some people even use dog glasses for that)

Blindness can as well be caused by Diabetes, which is a quite common disease in dogs, as you probably already know. Again, some dogs have a genetic predisposition to the issue, but some of them get it because of their way of life (obese dogs that don't move much are predisposed) exercise and a good diet can help fight diabetes.

I googled it and found some more injuries that can cause blindness, such as “sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome”, which is a pretty scaring painless disease that will leave your dog blind in a matter of days. It affects middle-aged and older dogs. Again, I read that a good diet and an exercise routine can protect your dog from getting it.

I wouldn't be worried about it, as you have already said before, dogs usually don't use much their view to communicate with the environment, as they have much more sophisticated senses.
Blindness itself isn't usually life-threatening, but some of the diseases that can cause it are, so give your dog a healthy life to protect him from them and that's it. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts