Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15-week old lab mix, she's been with us for 2 weeks. I originally bought a large crate with divider, thinking it could grow with her. But I think this crate is too tall for comfort. She really likes to sprawl under our bed, and not a big fan of the crate. So I'm wondering if I should find a smaller crate that is shorter in height.

She is about 13 inches tall at the shoulder and about 2 feet long shoulder to butt when standing. I'm thinking a height of 20-21 inches would be good, but those crates are only 2 feet long, I'm worried she will be cramped. She'll be able to curl up but not stretch too much.

Are there any creates that are short in height but longer in length?

Am I overthinking this?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
I'd guess that the reason she isn't a fan of the crate is unlikely to be because of the height.

What makes you think she isn't happy - what does she do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm.. she just doesn't stay for long. She prefers to walk out and crawl under the bed or chair, or just go out of the room and find someone to play with. Truth be told, I haven't done a lot of crate training yet, I put some treats in there and closed the door for a bit a few times, she didn't seem in distress or anything, but when i open the door she usually walks out.

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
It's good that she wasn't distressed, you want her to never feel trapped or anxious. Maybe just keep going with treats, feeding and so on, with the door always open for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts