Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I wanted to ask if theirs a huge difference between US golden retrievers and UK Golden retrievers temperment or personality wise?

As my sister has a golden and apart from the breed suiting her she picked the Golden as their none to be a quiet breed ( were in the UK) and everyone she spoke to said their quiet and her Golden is he rarley barks and when he does its only a few woofs and then stops when she says so.

But she asked on a facebook group that seems mainly US based (she didn't know this till after joining) and everyone is telling her shes lucky with her Golden as Goldens are very vocal and do bark at everything?

So i wondered if theirs a difference between US and UK Goldens?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just to answer your question, I imagine there would be some temperament differences between two continents just based on the genetic pool in that area over time. But as for barking I believe it has more to do with training. I have a breed that is notorious for excessive barking, we were aware of that tendency and nipped it in the bud with training. I never thought I could have that breed (not golden) that listened when asked to stop barking and could be off lead just saying.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hi

I wanted to ask if theirs a huge difference between US golden retrievers and UK Golden retrievers temperment or personality wise?

As my sister has a golden and apart from the breed suiting her she picked the Golden as their none to be a quiet breed ( were in the UK) and everyone she spoke to said their quiet and her Golden is he rarley barks and when he does its only a few woofs and then stops when she says so.

But she asked on a facebook group that seems mainly US based (she didn't know this till after joining) and everyone is telling her shes lucky with her Golden as Goldens are very vocal and do bark at everything?

So i wondered if theirs a difference between US and UK Goldens?
When I first read this, I thought you were asking about the difference in the 2 variety of Goldens. : )

The 'American" or sometimes called the 'sports/field' Golden...has a narrower head, is slightly taller, a little more 'lanky' looking and their hair usually isn't as long and thick as seen on the English Goldens - which are often used in movies due to their long flowing hair.

British Goldens are often called "showdog retrievers" and tend to have a more blocky/wide head. They are slightly shorter, and a tiny bit heavier boned. As mentioned...their coats are usually thicker and longer than the American Goldens and often a bit lighter in color.

As for the barking. I think it depends upon the dog and the training.

I have had 2 'American type" goldens.

My first one, HaHa...rarely ever barked.
But then too, he wasn't a typical golden as he was mentally handicapped. (Golden Retriever joke "How could you tell...lol) HaHa still had kind of a regular intelligence...but just couldn't remember anything if he wasn't reminded daily -- skip 1 day of not telling him to 'sit' and he had to be taught all over again - and he was way more puppy like than my 2nd golden that I got after I had to put HaHa to sleep, due to cancer.

AU, who I have now, and is about 7 years old. (Au is the chemical name for gold, but I cap both letters, because it looks nicer on a tag)

For the first 7 months I had him, he didn't bark that much.
Then for his 8th and 9th months...he had to spend about a total of 20 days at my vets because he had to have hip surgery on each hip and it was winter, and I just could not do the walking therapy he needed. (I'm disable, bad back and can't risk a fall on ice...and if AU fell, I wouldn't be able help him up).

Anyway...my vet has a nice inside kennel area...and AU must have been around a dog with a very vicious sounding bark. And of course, with any group of dogs...if something happens, like a tech coming into the kennel, or another dog brought in or taken out...they BARK.
AU learned to bark like that vicious sounding dog. He sounds Scary! And I haven't been able to 'un-train' that barking out of him.

Every time I let him out of the back yard...he goes out barking like he's going to rip someone a new one. But then as soon as he hits the fence line, he stops, and just stands there and wags his tail. He will, also bark a little bit if someone gets too close to the fence line...which I don't mind, as I want to know if someone is at the perimeter of my property, I kind of think that if AU hadn't spent all that time at the vets, getting 'programmed' by those other dogs to bark every
time something happened...he probably would have been a quiet dog.

I doubt there's a lot of behavioral difference between British or American type Goldens...and would tend to think it's, as I said earlier, more of a training and the individual personality of the dog.

Stormy

Reactions: Schnauzaluv
1 - 3 of 3 Posts