Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absalutely not!!!
I was so happy when I thought she was going to do the pads, but then she decided to make a bed of them and continue to go on the floor and my rugs and anywhere she darn well pleases. Today she was outside with us for quite a while and as soon as we go in she goes on my rug. Im pulling my hair out, nothing seems to work. GRRRRRR......

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dog trainers would make so much money if they took them in and potty trained and gave them back. I would pay, thats for sure!! I

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I blocked her in the kitchen but don't know if that will do anything.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
What kind of dog is she, how old is she, and do you have a crate? If so, is it the appropriate size? (Just big enough for her to walk in, turn around, and lay down comfortably?)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the thing, thats why I wasnt sure if her first hit was an on purpose thing or not. Cause I put it where she goes anyway. Now she is going EVERYWHERE without any pattern at all. I'm looking up trainers that may be able to really help. This is a major thing with us, not only is this very unhealthy but I have kidney issues and have become close to dialises (spelling??) before. I have to keep clean. This is actually causing panic in my house. The harder I work with her the worse she gets. I know this sounds crazy but I am looking on the net to see if someone can train her for us, I will pay them. But thats also scary cause I want them to be good to her but you just don't know people. Last night I got a text from my husband at work. He came home and from the sounds, there was so much pee and poo in the living room and in the kitchen (I guess she got out of the kitchen) that it looked like it was several days of not cleaning up. He was very angry and is sure I am going to end up back in the hospital pluss its just gross. If I can't get a handle on her, hes taking her back to the pound. I can't say I blame him. But I want to keep her if I can just get her to turn around, even if that means sending her away for a bit.
Please don't think my husbands mean. He just wants a healthy home.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, its tile. Thanks for the links, Ill look them up. I feel like Im feeling around in the dark. any bit of help Ill take. Thanks again

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and we do have lots of outdoor time, I got the pads just incase she might have been pryer trained them. Ill use them if its easier for her but really Iv been tryen to get her to go outsidw

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Its ok, we' re here to help you.

personally I only used pads for my very young pup...all the adult dogs were taught to go outside, and after a good history of being rewarded for going outside, it becomes habit, and they automatically will hold it when I'm not home.

how long you had the dog now? It hasn't been long correct? Som' of my harder to housebreak dogs took months to become 100% reliable.

Thats why crates are so awesome, the more the dog practices the behavior you DON'T want the harder it is to train what you DO want. So prevention is better in the long run.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might have to do that. Today when I got home, she had only been left there for about 2 hours. She was blocked in the kitchen and had hosed it completly. It took what seemed forever to pick up all the poo and to mop up the soaking wet floor. She didn't seem to mind getting right in the middle of it. I then potty paded the whole thing just to turn around and catch her pooing rihgt next to her food and water, the only spot I didnt put a pad. If not to teach her to go on it I want to at least catch it. I know I scared her because I yelled at her to stop RIGHTthere. I couldnt help it though, its as if she is delibratly going to get her way no matter what and I feel defeated. I have NEVER seen so much mess come out of a dog before! This is all she does!! How does such a little dog have to go sooooo much!? Poor Feora feels outed, I know it. She isn't allowed inside right now cause my carpet is so full of pee that I know she would mark over it and then I would have 2 doen it. This is affecting all of us. I hope I find someone willing to take her in and train her for me cause Im running in circles and I need a minute to catch up. Tomarrow I want to spend time with Feora without Snowflake since she has been outside full time now when she was starting to come in more. I just don't want her to feel like I traded her in when really, shes my top dog.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
is the stool loose or semi loose? She could be pooping out of stress... could be a separation anxiety thing.

grocery stores and walmart sell puppy pads CHEAP, cover the floor with them if you have too lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I think crate training is going to be the best idea, I have heard that dogs given a smaller area tend to not mess it as much than when they are given more area to roam. Is her stool soft or is it diarrhea? Is she being free fed meaning does she have access to food at all times? What about water? I don't think we have heard one way or another with these yet.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think crate training is going to be the best idea, I have heard that dogs given a smaller area tend to not mess it as much than when they are given more area to roam. Is her stool soft or is it diarrhea? Is she being free fed meaning does she have access to food at all times? What about water? I don't think we have heard one way or another with these yet.

Thank you for saying it aloud too... I've mentioned it a couple times and got no response...

@ Stef is there a reason you don't want to crate train?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thank you for saying it aloud too... I've mentioned it a couple times and got no response...

@ Stef is there a reason you don't want to crate train?
Yea I thought the same thing. I know a lot of people who think crate training is horrible but it really makes a difference in the dog being comfortable while alone.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats what I eant by I might have to do that. crate train. I have allways crate trained. This place that we are in is somethin we just moved into. For the first time in years I have a nice sized kitchen and thought it would be nice to block off the kitchen and let Feora have it all to herself when we are not there. She seems to really like it. So in adding Snowflake to our family, I really wanted to give her that freedom too. If she didn't mess up the house or chew on things, I would even let her have the house for roam. I just might have to do the crate thing again for her. She does it when we are home too though. Im afraid that since she does it when we are home then she might be in it all the time. I don't want it to turn into a prison. Thats what happens when its overdone.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My husband and I are talking about buying a wood door for our back door that is in the kitchen. The door there now is metal. We can put a dog door in the wooden door and when we move out some day just put the landlords door back on. But then if we do that we will have to build a pen with a top to it and everything out that door because our indoor cats will use the dog door too Im sure and a full pen will be needed to keep them from going anywhere.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Thats what I eant by I might have to do that. crate train. I have allways crate trained. This place that we are in is somethin we just moved into. For the first time in years I have a nice sized kitchen and thought it would be nice to block off the kitchen and let Feora have it all to herself when we are not there. She seems to really like it. So in adding Snowflake to our family, I really wanted to give her that freedom too. If she didn't mess up the house or chew on things, I would even let her have the house for roam

I understand your intentions, but a fearful/separation anxiety/new dog... may not want freedom. Freedom might be scary. In fact I'll bet money that freedom is at bear minimum confusing at this point in the game.

I tried to give my chi mix the run of the whole kitchen (not a big one mind you) when I brought her home and she ate the moulding off the wall and destroyed a baby gate and carpet in her terror...she is no more than 7ish lbs. Put her in a crate and she still had a bit of separation anxiety (at first) but she was no longer a manic wreck, and over time it faded about 95% (it never 100% goes away without drugs) its been over a year and a half and we just started giving her freedom this month...These SA dogs need baby steps and time. :)

I always start with crates and routines so the dog understands exactly whats next...Dogs thrive on structure/routine. I worry about freedom and privilages later and then only after the dog has proven to be trustworthy(anywhere from 6weeks to 6 months depending on the dog, or in Tippys case, since she was severe SA, about a year), .

I just might have to do the crate thing again for her. She does it when we are home too though. Im afraid that since she does it when we are home then she might be in it all the time. I don't want it to turn into a prison. Thats what happens when its overdone.
Im Trying to be truthful and helpful so please don't think me rude...but if she is doing it when your home your not paying enough attention to her. A new dog needs to be supervised 24/7 and confined when you can't supervise for at least the first 6 or so weeks IMO. Get a leash and tie it to your belt loop so she is always with you. Peeing/pooping is self rewarding/reinforcing, so everytime it happens its the equivilant of her giving herself a cookie so to speak...prevention is key. :)

As far as chewing and whatnot I'm sure we can help you with that if you give more details :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Im going to try all this. I have a small carrier in storage that Iv used for my cat for the vet before. Ill go get it out tomarrow. She doesn't chew anything she isn't supposed to. I was just saying that as a new dog, if it turned out that she didn't, and it has, then Id like to give her run of the house, of what I can't do anyway.
Feora is a barbie doll killer and once in a while thinks that my chair needs a new look. Thats why she either goes outside or is in the kitchen when we are gone. She can't have run of the house.
Oh, and she has access at all times to her bowls and she did have rock hard poop when she came home but now it is a little soft the way it should be.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thanks, Im going to try all this. I have a small carrier in storage that Iv used for my cat for the vet before. Ill go get it out tomarrow. She doesn't chew anything she isn't supposed to. I was just saying that as a new dog, if it turned out that she didn't, and it has, then Id like to give her run of the house, of what I can't do anyway.
Feora is a barbie doll killer and once in a while thinks that my chair needs a new look. Thats why she either goes outside or is in the kitchen when we are gone. She can't have run of the house.
Oh, and she has access at all times to her bowls and she did have rock hard poop when she came home but now it is a little soft the way it should be.
I think this is your problem right here. If a dog is constantly nibbling at food and eating the dog will not be on a schedule and will have to relieve itself throughout the day. I suggest restricting her food to when you are home and get her on a schedule, this way her bowel movements are on a schedule. Does this make sense? My dogs do not free feed, they get fed in the morning, 2 get fed in the afternoon, and then they are all fed at night. Right after they eat (given about 10-15 mins to help digest in their crates) they go outside for a few mins and potty. If they do not potty then we keep an eye on them and put them back outside every 10-15 mins until they do go. I think if you restrict food you will definitely be helping yourself eliminate the pooping in the house much quicker.

Crates are only for when you are unable to keep an eye on your dog. I agree with Crio that you should maybe get a long leash to attach to you so that you can watch her 24/7 while you are home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts