Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told my puppy was full bred great dane but, the lady I got her from was caught in a couple of lies. So, I have wondered since then if she is a full dane. She is 15 weeks and weighs 36 pounds. Either way we love her but, just want to know a little more about her. I was hoping maybe someone that knows the key characteristics of Dane's physical features would be able to help me out in figuring out what she is. The first 2 pictures are of her at 12 weeks. The last 2 are of her today at 15.5 weeks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
What's the collar for? We may be able to help you with any training issues you are having.

She's super cute but may be mixed with a different breed, at her age it's hard to say and you'll be able to tell more as she gets older.

Reactions: Grabby

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Agree with @Dawnben - those are TINY feet compared to a Great Dane, her ears seem too small, and the head doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We use the collar as a beeper to keep her right by us when we walk with her in the woods. She stays right with us now. I wonder if she is Dane at all?

·
Registered
900 Posts
She is definitely not pure Great Dane. The ears, face/head shape, feet, chest, and legs are not consistent with a Dane.

She could have some Dane in her but defiantly a mix. Very cute though! :)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Doesn't look like a GD to me. I'd ditch the collar if it's a shock collar. I know you didn't ask for training advice but can't help myself. As Rain said, if you'd like some training advice, we're here.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If she has any Great Dane in her, it's got to be back a ways. I really don't see any. Whatever breed she is, she's really cute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help .Regardless of what she is, we love her. She's the best. Just more annoyed about being lied to. Oh well. As a side note the collar is not shock. Just a beeper to keep her by our side. Eventually I want to walk her without a leash .For now, we practice in the woods so she wouldn't be able to make her way in to traffic.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
sure not a great dane and ive seen a few at the old obedience club i went to!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I don't think your dog has any Great Dane in her at all. She just looks like an Am Staff mix, a generic "All American" mutt--which are great dogs. I hope you didn't pay a lot of money for her! I would definitely warn people about this woman if she tries to con anyone else. By the way how exactly does that "beeper" collar work if it's not a shock? Is it like an electric fence one? Or like a GPS tracker?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
We have people around here who hunt with hounds...and some of them use bells on their dogs so they can hear them in the denser brush or trees. I think beeper collars are the modern update to the bells. They beep so you can hear where your dog is at when you can't actually see them.

I'm not sure how they are used to train for off leash though....unless it's just to track down your off leash dog that took off...lol.

Stormy ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The collar has a remote. When she gets too far, I push a button and I let it beep repeatedly and she will come running back . It's also helpful when I take her out to go to the bathroom. I will stand outside with her and know she won't get to far if I can beep her.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
We've had 2 great danes and one GD mix come through puppy classes lately and all three guy were so skinny I could hardly believe it! I was going to ask if one had worms--- That skinny. I'm convinced GD pups are like 90% bone at that age. And 10% feet. LOL.

Looks more like a lab/boxer or lab/bully mix to me. Cute girl!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I see a lot of pit bull border collie mixes in my area- not sure if someone's breeding them intentionally or just a coincidence but my local shelter even wrote about them, and she looks exactly like those crosses I see.

The HSCC Blog: Fuzzy Pitties

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've heard of people intentionally breeding Pit Bull/ Border Collie mixes for agility and other dog sports specifically.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
doesn't look like a Great Dane at all.
She is probably a mixed breed... it is very likely that there is some kind of Molosser breed in the mix though.
She's a cute dog... totally my type. brindles and big heads are are awesome.:D

please remove that collar, you don't need it with a puppy, you can teach her without something like that. Puppies usually follow their humans anyway and it feels much better for her to be rewards for following commands, than being punished. hurting a baby animal is not nice. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts