Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked around and it seems it is but I really want to double, triple check. Is seaweed - the one used for wrapping sushi - good for dogs? Of course, just in small amounts. The ingredient has some salt and iodine so I'm a bit cautious whether it really is good or not. I've fed them once before and they really liked it.

The dogs are 2 Japanese Shitsu mixed and 1 German Shepherd.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I know some health food junkies use it AS salt so I think it might be too high sodium. I'm not an expert though :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I've checked around and it seems it is but I really want to double, triple check. Is seaweed - the one used for wrapping sushi - good for dogs? Of course, just in small amounts. The ingredient has some salt and iodine so I'm a bit cautious whether it really is good or not. I've fed them once before and they really liked it.

The dogs are 2 Japanese Shitsu mixed and 1 German Shepherd.
I always share my rolls with my dogs they love them. This is the one I use and it has no sodium in it.
Emerald Cove Organic Toasted Sushi Nori Sheets -- 0.9 oz - Vitacost
I would check into the organic brands because they dont have heavy metals in them, better for you and your dogs.
But despite the nutritious benefits of seaweed, heavy metals can bioaccumulate in the sea plants, getting more potent over time and warranting warnings like on some hijiki, a Japanese seaweed that can contain high levels of arsenic.
Should You Be Eating Seaweed? | Energetic Health

·
Registered
829 Posts
if the seaweed is harvested from the ocean there is no guarantee it doesn't have metals in it. it can still be called organic beacuse it wasnt messed with by the harvesters but whatever got soaked up naturally is technically occuring organically.

soaking can remove a lot of salt but a serving (few tbsps)only has about 2 or 3 % of dv....about 20 or so grams. that's kelp. im not sure about others but i think they are similar. and that is a human adult number. i have no clue how that fits into a dog's diet as far as %dv goes. the stuff that is sold as a salt substitute is dried and concentrated. still, it has less sodium oz for oz than table salt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,

If you're talking about Nori (sushi sheets) then that's completely safe and healthy as a treat for your pups. Here's why: goldenretrieverlove.com/can-dogs-eat-seaweed/. I would suggest to avoid giving them any dried seaweed as these have a tendency to expand in their tummy and would cause many problems.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey There, that’s a great question.
There are actualy many discussion above it. I found a video on youtube whitch matches » is seaweed is okay for dogs ? ».

Here’s a link to a video that gives siome tips.

https://dausel.co/OgiUOr

click on that link and once you land on the page, click were it says « I am not a robot » if you see that, and then you will be redirected to the youtube video that shows how to take better choiches about the food of your loved animal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts