Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1.5 year old dog and noticed a small chip on her tooth with a small exposure of pulp. I took her to the vet and she sent me to a vet dentist to see what my options are since it could lead to an infected tooth down the road.

The vet dentist immediately said a root canal is necessary, and didn't offer any other options. I took him at his word and got an estimate of $1800-$2000. After getting the estimate, I emailed my vet asking if she thought this was necessary. She said either extraction or root canal.

Then by chance, I was with a friend who is a human dentist who looked at it and said if this were a human I would not do a root canal, the tooth is fine. She did a nice cube test and it was obvious the tooth was still alive. My dog is eating and playing like normal.

I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I feel like the vet dentist may be pushing the root canal when it is very likely it is not necessary. I trust the dentist's (human one, friend) opinion, unless somehow dog's teeth are much different.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had similar experience with human dentists. 15 years ago I had one say that I had 5 cavities. I had never had a cavity or a filling at that point so I passed on fillings. The next dentist said I had no cavities but my teeth were formed in a way that a dentist could mistake them for cavities.

Remember they are business people so buyer beware and get a second opinion. But first I would wait and watch how things go with out any dental work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts