Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some time ago I was talking to a dog breeder about puppy food. The first thing that came out of her mouth was "Its a scam" I thought hmmm. She told me all about it. So I wanted to get your guys thought on it. I am not sure if that is the case or not. I dont have my puppy on puppy food now. She is on taste of the wild. However I am thinking of switching to something else.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Puppies need more calories than an adult dog of the same size to fuel their higher energy. They also have higher protein needs for proper tissue growth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why does she think it's a scam?

She thinks so. She told me if you take one bag of puppy food and one bag adult dog food. You can see the differences. But this of course depends on the brand.

So here I took taste of the wild the dog food I feed now

Here is the one puppy formula that they have
High Prairie Puppy® Formula with Bison & Roasted Venison – Taste of the Wild Pet Food

The protein level is 28
and fat is 17

Then lets take one of their adult dog foods
High Prairie Canine® Formula with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison – Taste of the Wild Pet Food

Protein is 32 and fat is 18

So as you can see the adult dog food as more protein then the puppy food.

Here is the puppy nutrtion list
The Special Nutritional Needs of Puppies | petMD

It says a puppy needs at least 22% protein while a adult dog only needs 18%

Of course each brand will have some big differences.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I don't think it's a "scam" necessarily. I do think there are some that are better than others. Just like human babies have different nutritional requirements that adults, puppies need different things than adult dogs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do see a big price difference. I would rather pay $25 for the 32% protein bag then spend $25 for the 28% protein bag. I feel like i am being cheated in some way when I am paying the same price.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It also depends on the breed of dog.

A large, giant breed puppy will do best on a large breed puppy food, it would be detrimental to them to feed them regular puppy food, and the large breed puppy food is better for them then an all life stages food or adult food.

If a person has a small or medium sized breed puppy I don't think it matters to much whether or not the person feeds them puppy food or all life stages food.

What I do think is a scam is senior food, and breed specific food.

Reactions: 3Dogfam

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My latest puppy could barely chew the puppy sized kibble at two months, there's no way she could have handled the adult version which is massive.

Beyond that, the protein situation at least in the brand I feed is reversed the puppy formula is 32% crude protein and the adult food from the same line is 26%

Every vet I've talked to has said that puppy food is important.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's a scam, but i do think they make it a bigger issue than it is so they can get you to pay more for food. Personally I've always just used a good all life stages food, and my dogs grew just fine and have been healthy. Protein levels vary so much in different brands, so a puppy food in one brand may be the same as the adult in another.

The time that it really matters to me is a large breed puppy. Because then you don't want too much protein or they grow too fast and it can cause issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What I do think is a scam is senior food, and breed specific food.
I agree about breed specific diets. However in reading up on the latest thinking about feeding older dogs, it seems the consensus among vets/veterinary nutritionists is that the protein should remain high (it doesn't tax the kidneys of a healthy dog), phosphorus should be reduced (it does tax the kidneys) and fat should be reduced (since the dog may be less active and prone to overweight).

For instance an all life stages kibble for small/medium dogs might include 28% protein and 18% fat. I'm very comfortable with that balance for my one year old dog. The senior food from the same manufacturer is 28% protein and 12% fat. Now I haven't made a study of "senior" formulas since I don't need one but I suspect that unless you're using one designed for older dogs either the protein is going to be lower or the fat is going to be higher. Just saying.

Please feel free to correct me (gently :) )

·
Registered
519 Posts
My vet actually told me it's okay to switch puppies from puppy food to adult food after they get spayed or neutered because when you stop the hormonal growth their metabolism also slows down so sometimes people get too caught up in the puppy food when their pup doesn't burn through the higher calorie intake as quick anymore and the pup begins to get chunky. It makes sense but I've never researched it or looked any more into it since Nala was about 10mo. old when she told me and I was already on the verge of switching her to adult food so I just took as her saying it's okay to switch her.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the thing I worry about most is making sure everything is covered for her nutrition needs. I dont want to spay her just yet. I would love to breed her once in the future and keep one of her pups and adopt the rest. So I hope the food I am giving her will cover that need.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't think it really matters if a puppy is eating puppy food, adult food, or all life stages food. As long as the ratios are appropriate, shouldn't matter if it says "puppy", "adult", or "all life stages" on the bag. Some brands puppy food is basically the same formula as the adult one. I remember dong some research on specific brands and the percentages and ratios were identical...just can't remember the bands right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts