Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Today my mum went and bought a new puppy for herself and she's just so cute! But there's one little thing I'm concerned about, she bought an English Cocker Spaniel and I really think this puppy looks like a Golden Retriever. I asked my mum if she agrees or not, she said she believes the breeder and that they know the best. It's coming from a puppy farm and to be honest, I don't trust them. I attached some pictures of the puppy, her name is Arya. I hope she really is an English Cocker Spaniel, otherwise my mum would be so sad, I like them though! :)

And the breeder told her not to go to the vet for couple of weeks, she is 40 days old, apparently. And she never had any shots or medicine in any kind, I really think we should. Should we?I bet you guys know better than I do, I never had a dog, it's my common sense who thinks this is just not right. And I am also pretty sure selling dogs when they're not even 2 months old is not right but that's an another issue.

So what do you guys think, can she be a Golden and should we really not take her to the vet for first check ups because she is just too young? I know I'm posting this at 1 AM but it's been bugging me for whole night.

EDIT1: PS I forgot to mention that the last pic is not our dog, it's just a pic of an another dog but same breed, our girl's brother.

Thank you, all help is appreciated. :confused: :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
It could be. It's really hard to tell at this age.

Absolutely go to the vet. Puppy mill puppies can get ill really quickly. Is there a warranty? It's possible the "breeder" was trying to cover themselves by preventing you from discovering anything too soon.

Also start puppy classes when she's old enough. Perhaps I'm biased but Cockers are one of "those" breeds, IMO, where there is a lot of potential for generic health or temperament problems. It's best to get a jump start on both as early as possible.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible but your mom got a puppy in the worst possible way, with so many red flags I'm legit concerned for this puppy's health.

First of all, there's no way this is an English Cocker. Might there be some in there? Perhaps. But it doesn't have Cocker ears or face, and you are right the puppy looks like a Golden mix. This puppy is a mutt.

Everything about this arrangement sounds VERY bad. The puppy is too young and should still be with her mother. Puppies shouldn't leave their mom and siblings before 8 weeks old. And that photo looks like a puppy store. Is that where your mom got her? If so, report them for selling dogs too young, and without shots. A puppy having NO medical care is illegal in most countries, and also extremely dangerous. Also I have to say I've never heard any breeders or puppy stores have the incredible gall to say not to take her to a vet ASAP. I'm going to guess they said that because the puppy is probably sick and they don't want you to know your mom bought her sick. Another thing that I find insane is that this person said she's too young to go to the vet. That's like saying "Jr. was just born so he's too young to see the dr. He shouldn't see the doctor until he's 3 years old." I'm going to assume that if you did what this person said and waited a few weeks, you would have a severely ill or possibly dead dog, and they would blame you for making her sick because "she's been with you for weeks, it's not my responsibility". Please make her a vet appointment ASAP, and get her vaccinations.

This person who sold your mom this puppy should be reported. And while I'm much more callous than some people, I think you should return her and ask for your money back. Giving money to anyone for a dog like this is not only fraud for lying to you about the breed, but you are funding animal cruelty because this dog definitely came from a backyard breeder or puppy mill/farm. Along with that dogs from those sources are usually riddled with lifelong health and behavior problems, from poor breeding and being taken from their mom too early.

Either way please get this puppy checked ASAP and report that puppy seller for fraud, as well as illegally selling unvaccinated puppies too young.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I think she could be a cocker. It'll be easier to tell when she's older. The show line ones have the exaggerated face and ears that traciek88 is talking about, but the field line and the poorly bred english cockers look more like normal dogs. But I wouldn't be surprised if she was mixed either.

I agree with the other posters, absolutely bring her to the vet and report the store you got her from!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be. It's really hard to tell at this age.

Absolutely go to the vet. Puppy mill puppies can get ill really quickly. Is there a warranty? It's possible the "breeder" was trying to cover themselves by preventing you from discovering anything too soon.

Also start puppy classes when she's old enough. Perhaps I'm biased but Cockers are one of "those" breeds, IMO, where there is a lot of potential for generic health or temperament problems. It's best to get a jump start on both as early as possible.
No there's no warranty, I just called the vet they said bring her 5 days later don't take her outside and don't let any strangers touch her so we're gonna do that. But I still think we should've taken her, but it's my mums dog.

We are going to in a month, but not for now! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think she could be a cocker. It'll be easier to tell when she's older. The show line ones have the exaggerated face and ears that traciek88 is talking about, but the field line and the poorly bred english cockers look more like normal dogs. But I wouldn't be surprised if she was mixed either.

I agree with the other posters, absolutely bring her to the vet and report the store you got her from!
I agree I bet it's a mix we'll see in 5 days, I'll definitely post an update! And I just reported them and also the breeder. There should be a punishment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible but your mom got a puppy in the worst possible way, with so many red flags I'm legit concerned for this puppy's health.
I reported them and she's going to take her to the vet 5 days later, that's all I could've done. And I also managed her to put a water into her cage, literally. Who said to her not to have water in the crate?! That breeder gave her some serious horrible advice. Thank you for your reply, I'll definitely request some kind of a breed assistance from the vet. Hopefully everything will be fine! But we won't take her back because they run a terrible place and she came to us now, if she wants to give her for adoption or sell her again, I'll take her and care of her in my own place cause I can't just give her away now, she's ours! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts