Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this site and am really hoping to get some opinions from experienced Pyr owners and breeders. We bought our Pyr from a local breeder a couple months ago. The father was on site, but the mother wasn't there. As she's grown, I've noticed her coat has remained short, nothing like the full double coat I've read about. Also she seems small to me, but I chalked it up to her being a female.... Sad to say, I believe I've been duped. Any opinions? She is 3 1/2 months. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
What ever she is, she really is gorgeous.

Did the breeders give you any papers? Is there any action you can take against them?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I too agree at least one of it's parents was not an AKC registered Great Pyr. But you probably knew that at the time of purchase when you weren't given papers.

But that's okay, there is getting to be a HUGE genetic bottleneck in many purebred breeds. In the Kennel Club breeds, all but a few have EFFECTIVE diversity of 100 animals or less.

So for a dog as an INDIVIDUAL, crossing with a HEALTHY dog of a different breed or a HEALTHY mutt is probably the best thing for it.

Your dog thanks you for letting it not be a purebred. It will be a great companion for you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
She reminds me of a GP/smooth collie mix because of the tipped ears. If that is the case, you should have a wonderful companion and more biddable than a purebred GP. Whatever she is, she is beautiful.

Many happy years to you both.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I too agree at least one of it's parents was not an AKC registered Great Pyr. But you probably knew that at the time of purchase when you weren't given papers.

But that's okay, there is getting to be a HUGE genetic bottleneck in many purebred breeds. In the Kennel Club breeds, all but a few have EFFECTIVE diversity of 100 animals or less.

So for a dog as an INDIVIDUAL, crossing with a HEALTHY dog of a different breed or a HEALTHY mutt is probably the best thing for it.

Your dog thanks you for letting it not be a purebred. It will be a great companion for you.
Yeah except someone who is going to lie to a person and tell them their dog is a purebred pyr when they know it's not can't really be nominated breeder of the year award, and doubtfully gave the dog a full run of genetic health tests as a reputable breeder would.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you just presented her as a mix of unknown parentage, never in a million years would I see a Pyrenean Mountain dog in her. And still don't. Sorry.

And where was the mother?

·
Registered
813 Posts

I wonder what makes you think that the breeder used a HEALTHY (as in health tested) mutt. Would he have known what to test for in a mutt anyway? Or are all mutts perfectly healthy?

Anyway, the buyer was deceived, he was told he was buying a Pyr, which the dog is not.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I wonder what makes you think that the breeder used a HEALTHY (as in health tested) mutt. Would he have known what to test for in a mutt anyway? Or are all mutts perfectly healthy?

Anyway, the buyer was deceived, he was told he was buying a Pyr, which the dog is not.

Never stated that I think the breeder used a healthy mutt. However, plenty of purebreds are coming out of unhealthy parents. Unless it is coming from a reputable breeder purebred means jack squat. Puppy mills churn out plenty of extremely unhealthy purebreds. Plenty of unscrupulous people on both sides of the fence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts