Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm not just not throwing it out because he kind of looks like a wolf. For awhile I was dead set on owning a wolf dog like my grandma and aunt once had. But I ended up with a rescue husky puppy recently. He is 7 months old and he was neglected by his first owners who ended up leaving him in their backyard when they went back to china and the breeder took him back and we ended up with him. We have yet to have contact with the breeder. The dog was at a foster home when we got him because the breeder didnt have the room. So the guy/lady not sure which is already looking like a pretty bad breeder to me. First thing when I see him I immediately think he has to have some wolf in him, but apparently the breeder insists he's purebred. Here is my reasoning in this. First thing you notice is his coat. It's super blended and his fur is very course. His coloring is literally like a wolf, except he has a red hue to him and he's lighter. Ok so he also doesn't have blue eyes, they are yellow. I know huskies can have yellow eyes too, but that along with the coat and then theres a few more things. Next are his nails which are super dark. His paws aren't too huge. And his tail isn't at all curly it's long a bushy and it has the caudal mark on it. His bark is more of a howl, his face is kind of long, and he acts JUST like a cat. Could these all be coincidences or could this dog have some wolf in him? I just want to know because it will definitely affect how I approach training him if there is a possibility he has any wild in him. Or am I full of crap and this is just a siberian husky?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Nothing about what you've said makes me think "wolf", all sounds like your typical husky to me. Even his fur and eye color really isn't unusual, instead of red with brown eyes, he's dilute red with yellow eyes, which happens in a lot of breeds. That picture is also not ideal for phenotyping, you would need a side picture of him standing from the side. But, judging from what little I can see with the picture you posted and your profile picture, he just looks like a husky. Huskies are primitive breeds, huskies howl, a lot of dogs have black nails, etc. Small paws (commonly referred to as kitten paws) are a husky trait, a wolfdog would have big paws. I fail to see one trait you've listed that makes me even suspect a bit of wolf.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It would be very cool to own a dog that looks like a wolf, but I already have a dog that I swear is half cat. Seriously, she acts like one sometimes.

Whatever your boy is, he is gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I very much agree that he just sounds like a typical husky and while the photo isn't ideal I can see enough to say that he doesn't have any wolf traits, only seeing dog traits. Enjoy your dog for what he is. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts