Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!! First-time dog owner and would like to get the perspective of someone more experienced. I recently adopted a puppy that the shelter was certain is a german shepherd mix. They're not sure what the mix is but they suspect it's a lab. They estimate the dog to have been born on Feb. 10, which would make it about 12-13 weeks old.

In looking up websites, it seems that German Shepards weight around 25 lbs. at 12 weeks. I had the puppy looked at by the vet yesterday - he's 11 lbs. The vet said everything looks fine and the puppy looks healthy, but maybe just slightly thin (see pics attached).

I'm just slightly concerned and wanted to get the perspective of some more experienced dog owners. Anything to worry about? Is it likely that the mix is maybe a smaller/medium sized dog vs. a lab?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
The funny thing about mixes is that you never really know what genetics are going to come into play! In my beginner obedience class, there is a student who has a GSD x Jack Russell mix - who is no more than 15 or 20 pounds.

Puppies really go through weird body compositions. They get a little pudgy, then they grow an inch or two and are all legs and skinniness. If the vet isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
501 Posts
Are ribs visible?...if not, puppy is fine. Many breeds and mixes are leaner then others. Looks perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like a healthy puppy to me! Congratulations on your first dog :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts