Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My puppy is 4 and half months old, and he really sleeps in in the mornings. I know puppies sleep a lot, but is this much normal? He goes to sleep anywhere from 10:00 - 11:00 pm, and sleeps until 10:00 - 10:30 am. He doesn't care if we're in the same room or not, he just sleeps. Then he sleeps again from around 1:00 - 4:00, and maybe another short evening nap.

From what I've heard, the typical problem is how to get puppies to sleep through the night, but not with this guy! :p Right now it is 10:16 am and he's still sleeping. So, is this normal?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Uh...this makes me nervous. Is he getting up to go to the bathroom? Or is he literally just sleeping straight through. Does he eat and drink normally? What are his eliminations like? Does he play/have energy when he is awake? Has he been seen by a vet?

You might just have a super mellow puppy, but not waking up to use the bathroom or when you enter the room, that is not normal for a young pup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.

No, he doesn't get up to use the bathroom, just sleeps straight through... then when gets up he goes to the bathroom. He's eating well (one meal shortly after waking up, one meal at 4:30, and then a mini evening meal/snack). He's eliminating fine too, several times a day. He has been seen by a vet multiple times for check up, his vaccines and then flea/tick medicine. He's gotten all of his shots.

When he wakes up he's very sleepy and just cuddles with us, but then once he's woken up he does play.

Sherlock is definitely a very mellow/shy puppy, I'm just not sure if this mellow is normal -- what do you think? In the morning it's not like he's completely out cold -- he moves around and will sometimes look at us sleepily when we come in, but only comes out when he wishes. He's definitely not scared to come out, he's very close to us and gets plenty of attention and love.

Usually during the afternoon he gets pretty hyper and loves to run around and chase and jump and be all active.

Could he be sick? He seems healthy with the exception of this sleeping habit. Is it something to go to the vet about?

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
When is the last time you had a visit with the Vet?
Call and ask to ease your mind.
try to get him interested in an activity, see if that wakes hm up.
Maybe he just bored.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
What is he like when he is awake? In terms of total sleep per 24 hours, this does not seem excessive to me at all. What is weird to me is that he is sleeping so late in the morning, then only taking a 3 hour nap later. If he is active and playful for the rest of the times you are not discussing (4pm to 10 pm and 10am to 1 pm) then I'd say he's just on an unusual schedule.

Perhaps you are not letting him take enough naps during the day? Being awake and active from 4 pm to 10 pm is a really long stretch for a young puppy. It may be that he is simply exhausted from all that every day and that is why he sleeps in so late.

Typically my puppies have been good nightime sleepers, from about 9 pm to 6 am. Then they are up for an hour or two, then back for a 3 or 4 hour nap, then up for an hour or two, and down for a couple hour nap, and so forth and by evening they are pretty much tired. Puppies need a LOT of sleep in every 24 hour cycle.

Is your household very active in the late afternoon? Is the puppy running about with the kids or something? What's keeping him up for so long and so late? My guess is this is your answer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last time that Sherlock went to the vet was August 1st for his flea/tick medicine -- the vet did not notice anything unusual about him. I wouldn't really want to wake him up when he's so sleepy -- if he wants to sleep I think he should..

His "schedule" kind of changes from day to day. He's not awake from 4:00 - 10:00 pm, but takes naps in between, like from 6:00 - 8:00 or 7:00 - 8:00 or something like that, just for a few hours.

It's really quiet in our house. Nothing should be keeping him up, he just kind of wanders around, lies down here and there when he gets sleepy, and then we go with him to his ex-pen, where he goes to sleep for the night. He usually goes to sleep at 10:00 pm.

He is always free to take a nap anytime during the day, and lets us know when he wants one by when he just becomes less active and begins to lie down. Then he wanders into his ex-pen for a nap.

He is very impressionable, I think, so new encounters with dogs and people and walks through the park tire him out, so when he gets home he goes to sleep shortly. Typically, he isn't awake for more than 2-3 hours at a time, and takes a 2-3 hour nap.

I doubt he's bored as we're always trying to give him new experiences and play with him. My guess is that this is just his temperament -- mellow and loves to be home and safe.

What bothers me is that he doesn't get up to go to the bathroom - doesn't he feel like he has to go? Yesterday night last time he went was 9:00, and got up at 10:30 today. That's like 13.5 hours of not going to the bathroom. Is this okay?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
It certainly is unusual. I think I would double check his health with the vet. Be sure to explain your concerns... Dont expect the vet to find something without your information.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
86 Posts
wow i wish our puppy was like that. We have trouble with her being hyperactive sometimes. We take her out in the mornings for potty, then walk, give her discipline commands (sit and stay) in between during the walk, breakfast, then work on 'inside' her crate, give her a toy, then let her be. She does tend to nap, but then she wakes up in an instant when there are people in the room or any sudden noise. With potty breaks in the night, she can hold it in for four hours (3 month old puppy) she is already awake when we are about to take her out.
WIth our puppy, if no one is paying attention to her, she naps in the crate...otherwise she bolts around the house if we let her lose and tends to have accidents (and sometimes even when she already peed or pooped outside). i want to have quiet and cuddle times with our puppy but she tends to think its play time everytime she goes out the crate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds a lot like when Aphrodite was a puppy, to be honest! She whined to get taken out to pee in the middle of the night for the first two nights, then started sleeping straight through, sometimes for 12 hours. She's still a big lazy furball, and sleeps most of the day as a teenager. I'm not going to lie, I love having a lazy dog!!!

IMHO, if he is eating and eliminating normally, has had all shots and regular vet checks, doesn't appear to have any other symptoms or signs of illness (vomiting, wobbly walking, extra gunk around ears or nose, excessive drinking, etc), and is happy and focused when he does wake up, then you have no issue.

If it really bothers you, double check with a vet, but some dogs are just lazy, and puppies sleep a LOT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts