Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 week old German Shepherd mix. He is really smart and was quick to pick up potty training. Our house is a split level and we keep a gate at the stairs so Winston doesn't have free range of the house. Recently, when the kids go down stairs and Winston is left upstairs he sits by the gate and pees. I thought at first maybe I had missed a que from him, but I noticed yesterday while we were outside my son left the yard through our gate, told Winston to stay and he sat a peed. Its starting to happen every time he doesn't get to go where the kids are. How do I get him to stop??

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
At 16 weeks, he is too young to be housetrained. It takes at least 6 months to get the necessary nerve development to be reliably housetrained. (And growth spurts in large dogs can cause regression.) So up until that point, it's all up to you taking him out often enough. If he's peeing inside, go out more often and clean the accidents up with an enzymatic cleaner.

Also, dogs are never "defiant". There's no percentage in it for dogs. Dogs can be poorly trained, not exercised enough, young and/or fearful, but not defiant. I highly suggest you go to Dog Star Daily and download some of the puppy raising information.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The most likely explication is that he doesn't want to be alone, he wants to follow your kids but when he can't because the gate prevents him from doing he gets stressed and that stress taxes his poorly developed bladder control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess "defiant" is the wrong word to use. I am pretty sure I said nothing of him being "defiant" in my post, just used it in the subject line. I also NEVER said he was fully potty trained. I am completly aware that he is still very young to be potty trained. He is great at going outside, because I take him out often, but I still don't think he knows that he's supposed to go outside. The only time he has accidents is when he is prevented from going where my kids are. It reminds me of a two year old throwing a tantrum.

So if he's strested about not going where the kids go, how do I help relieve that anxiety? He stays at home by himself for at least several hours without any problems.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Put him outside to potty before you close off the gate so he can't get to your children. If there's no pee to be peed, it'll help prevent at least one problem.

Is peeing and sitting always connected in these situations? Sitting may be putting pressure on his tiny puppy bladder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts