Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
He looks much too small to be a pure St. Bernard, but it is hard to tell based on those pictures. His head seems small, the muzzle a little long and narrow, and the ears look a little high.

I don't think I've ever seen a St. Bernard with tan legs, they're pretty exclusively white, so if he is pure he is either out of standard or more likely a mix.

You said re-home? How long has this person had the puppy if he is re-homing at 8 weeks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole thing was a little weird, I’m not sure how long they have had him but they said they needed to rehome him due to moving and they asked for $325 for him.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Hm. Well, he is likely a mix, but a cute one. :) What did you decide to name him?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Definitely not a St Bernard (honestly I don't see much of it at all in him) but very cute! Make sure to take him to the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told he had his first round of shots already but I wasn't given any paperwork. How can I be sure though?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Bring him to a vet ASAP. They will be able to advise you from there. If you can, contact the people you got him from and see if you can get any kind of paperwork from the owners.

Visual breed identification is notoriously unreliable. Genotype is not always evident in phenotype. It's especially difficult to guess any kind of breed mix in small puppies, because they haven't yet fully developed and a lot of breed traits aren't yet obvious/fixed.

It is possible he has both Golden Retriever and Saint Bernard in him. I don't especially look at him and think immediately of either breed, but that could be a result of his age and the fact that mixing two breeds can get you extremely variable visual results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts