Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much do they weigh? How much are you feeding a day?

From the pictures alone, looks underweight. Hard to answer you fully without knowing more though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do they weigh? How much are you feeding a day?

From the pictures alone, looks underweight. Hard to answer you fully without knowing more though.
I feed him 3 meals a day. 450gms Ganador Premium Puppy dog kibble with 200gms of rice mixed with a raw egg to make him like it. Thrice a week i feed him 1 kg of chicken feet mixed with rice. Some times to stir things i add a chapati or two.
He weighs 50 kgs

·
Registered
23 Posts
He seems pretty on target weight-wise for his age.

As for his food, is that per meal, or total? You usually want to feed the amount for his ideal weight, and not current weight (i.e. however much you expect him to weigh as an adult - enough food to sustain that as opposed to whatever he weighs now.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He seems pretty on target weight-wise for his age.

As for his food, is that per meal, or total? You usually want to feed the amount for his ideal weight, and not current weight (i.e. however much you expect him to weigh as an adult - enough food to sustain that as opposed to whatever he weighs now.)
that is per meal 450gms kibble plus 200gms of rice. And as far as the chicken feet 1 kg per day thrice a week.
Can this thiness be due to worms. I dewormed him 18th of last month. Our vet told me to deworm him every 3 months if he does not eat soil or mud and 1nce per month if he does. Thank you soo much for replying.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can look up recipes for "satin balls" which help put weight on dogs. Otherwise I think your boy might just be in an awkward gangly phase. You could either try that or switching his food to something with higher calories & protein.

If you can track and record his weight, I would suggest that to make it easier to see what's going on!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Looks like a typical teenage stage for a giant breed dog. As has been said, it's best for them to be thin rather then heavy and GDs grow fast, and they keep growing for a good 2 1/2 years. First getting tall, and lanky, then beginning to fill out weight and muscle wise. It's best to have them do that slow and steady, otherwise you end up with joint problems. I would not do Satin Balls. At 8 months old your boy is in the middle of the tall, and lanky stage, and will probably stay there for awhile.

Feeding Great Danes
http://www.all-about-great-danes.com/great-dane-growth-chart.html

Can you get a picture of him from the side standing, and one of a top view of him again standing?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Guessing you take him to your Vet for shots and checkups. If your Vet is anything like the one we go to, he is not the least bit shy in pointing out underweight, overweight or anything else he finds that could be improved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts