Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a 2 year old English Coonhound, who behaves in ways I have never seen other dogs behave.
She will have excessive bursts of energy for about 15 minutes before laying on a couch silently for hours at a time. She will even stay there when she sees me and will rarely follow me. She almost never makes any noises or chews on anything. This is even more confusing considering that she does not know any basic commands. I take her out on at least 3 walks a day but I know she doesn't get too tired because she can spring into her "play" mode at a moments notice, and when she does play sometimes she completely ignores me. I am taking her to the vet soon to get her checked up and ask about this behavior but that won't be for a few weeks.
Is there anything wrong with her or how I am taking care of her?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

For how long have you had her now?
I'm asking because it is said that there is an adjusting phase for a new dog in a new home.
At first the dog is unsure about you, the new environment, how to behave, what to do. The more routine the living together becomes, the more she will get out of her shell (normally, every dog is different, and this phase can take a really long time).

When we first got Bri, the first 2 weeks she was very mellow, a lot of couching, sometimes zoomies, hardly any playing with us, but didn't want to eat without one of us being with her. Gradually that changed. At first she started "demanding" contact, like petting and cuddling, then, after some time, she started playing (before that playing tug was impossible, you tug a little, she let's the toy go, now she's full blown tugging and never ever thinking about letting the toy go!) and also got more territorial outside when we were in the backyard with barking at neighbors (we luckily got that to stop again).

I would make sure with the vet visit that she is healthy and doesn't have any underlying issues, but for me it sounds as if she is still adjusting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts