Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our pup neutered this past Saturday. He seems to be behaviorally sound (extra cuddly, even), however I'm concerned with the healing process of the incision itself. All bleeding and or leakage has been extremely minimal, but he has occasionally gotten around to licking the wound. The sutures are still intact and nothing has opened beyond the surface where I honestly thought would have been scabbing at this point. Should we be concerned with any infection or does it seem to be healing fine? :ponder:

We're having our post-op visit this afternoon. I'm sure I could wait until then, but am always open to second/more opinions on the issue. We will most likely be picking up an e-collar even though they said he would not really be needing one. Any tips on cleaning or treatment would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm no pro but it looks quite irritated, let us know what your vet said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, general knowledge led me to think the same, but I am really new to the whole operation, so I'm not sure what is considered normal or not. I also think the suture ends are poking at the wound, but I'm afraid to shorten them myself. I will update after our visit with the vet. Thanks!

·
Registered
888 Posts
You know I was just wondering if maybe he is reacting to the stitches? Now I'm really curious:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ImageShack is goofing up on me. That earlier picture was taken this morning, but I just took another one now (without the flash)...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yes it doesn't look quite as bad...maybe the close up made it look worse, hope the vet can help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, we should have picked an e-collar up after the surgery, but the vet monitored him all day and said it wasn't likely that he'd be needing it. I guess it's hard to say when he is sedated.

The only time he really flinches is when I try to move the suture off the wound. He otherwise doesn't mind me dabbing it dry or cold treatment with a clothed ice packed. My neighbor suggested betadine and neosporin, but I'm hesitant as I would like for the wound to heal naturally. Have any of you tried using those products?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on it without checking with the vet. I was always told not to get the stitches wet...betadine would do that ( and would sting) and so would neosporin...but that's just me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Duly noted! Thanks guys! I will keep up with our post-op visit, which is in a little less than two hours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts