Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any and all help/suggestions

My pup, Leica, is almost 2 years old, we've had him since he was 3 months old and have lived in the same apartment.

He is a Border Collie Mix, and he's always had the same personality, at home he's always been really relaxed, occasionally he'll go grab one of his chew toys and gnaw on it for a few minutes, or bring me over a toy to play tug with (and I never turn him down) but for the most part he just lounges around all day (I work from home).

When we get ready to go do something though he's always up for it-walk, play inside the apartment, go to the dog park, etc. Basically he's the "perfect" dog with bounds of energy when you want it and just relaxed the rest of the time.

Over the last few months I've been house and pet sitting for a friend, probably once a month on average, but this last month we were there A LOT. The house has a huge fenced backyard (we don't have any enclosed yard at home) and his best friend, a Weimaraner that he loves to play with. When we're there he spends most of the time in the yard, either by himself with a chew, or playing with the other dog. This last weekend my husband and I went out of town and couldn't bring him with us and he went to another friends house that also has a BC mix that he loves to play with and a big fenced backyard.

Here's where the problem lies, the last month or so it's been like pulling teeth to get him to eat his breakfast and dinner. He eventually does, but we end up pulling it up and putting it back down a few times. Or if we leave it out for him he'll go gobble it up mid afternoon and then he really doesn't want his dinner at 7. Here's the thing-at the house where I pet sit and the house he stayed at this last weekend no problems at all-gobbled it right up immediately, both breakfast and dinner. He's been taking treats happily though. He's also completely uninterested in playing inside the apartment anymore, I can't rile him up, he's only happy when we're outside or somewhere else like dog park, friends house, etc.

Is he just unhappy without another dog around? It's like he is moping around all day-not just lounging like he normally does, he's acting depressed. Moves from room to room with me and lays down and does nothing. Could he be stressed? We don't really have a set routine, we do stuff every day (multiple walks and either fetch or dog park, so he's getting a ton of exercise) but not at the same time every day. Could it be that even though we don't have a routine, his schedule was still messed up by being at other places that weren't home for the good majority of the month, even though he was having a TON of fun at those places? He's also acting very mopey and uncomfortable on car rides anywhere, not crying or barking, but again, just unhappy. Maybe he's bored of his food? We just changed it up about 6 months ago from lamb to duck, how often are you supposed to change it?

I'm at a loss so any suggestions are welcomed, it's just making me so worried that he's not going to be happy without another dog around, because there's no way we can get another dog. I was worried that it was a medical condition maybe but he eats just fine when he's around other dogs and happy, and he'll eat with a lot of convincing at home, but maybe it's worth getting a checkup?

Thanks for reading, I know it was long, any help is so appreciated!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sounds like he found out something new was super exciting, and is now bored with his usual daily life. It's always worth a good vet check tho.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I change proteins every bag, but my dog does not have a sensitive stomach.

Take him to the vet, that sounds like illness or pain to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks for your responses everyone, much appreciated.

I've made a vet appointment for tomorrow but I'll try a new bag of food tonight to see if that helps too.

I was thinking maybe I was overreacting in thinking that he may need to see the vet, so I appreciate the support very much. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
24 Posts
A collie needs to be taking out at least 4 hours a day because it is a race breeded for shepherd.

Another thing is that dogs are happier when they have a fellowdog. It is in their nature and they know you are not a dog. But a friend of another specie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts