Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think my dog is perfect for his size i've had a few people tell me he is skinny, including my Dad. Most of these people have overweight dogs themselves but I want my dog to be completely healthy not too skinny or too large.
The vet has never mentioned anything apart from saying he is very healthy, surely she would have told me if he was skinny, my Mum agrees with me and thinks he's just right as does my fiance.
I've including some pictures, I really just want another opinion.

Thanks All ;)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
honestly i cannot see the pics, but i can tell you that it is far healthier for your dog to be slightly underweight than slightly overweight, and MOST people's dogs are at least slightly overweight...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
He looks great to me.

Most people have become so use to seeing overweight dogs that they have no idea what a dog should look like when it's at it's ideal weight, so when they see a dog at a proper weight they think it's underweight and to skinny.

A dog should have a waist, it's belly should be tucked up between it's rear legs it shouldn't have a pot belly, when a person presses down slightly over it's ribs the ribs should be easily felt.

I'm willing to bet that if I shaved Shadow down people would tell me he's to thin when he's not. His mounds of fur have spared me from the comments lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We used to have a dog that had a ridiculous metabolism. No matter how much she ate, she would run it all off by the end of the day. She was always skinny but the vet told us that was normal because of her breed, and age. How old is your dog? Perhaps he still has a bit of growing to do. He looks a lot like my dog but black instead of red. I also don't see any ribs showing in your photos. I'd much rather have a thinner, healthy dog than an overweight one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We used to have a dog that had a ridiculous metabolism. No matter how much she ate, she would run it all off by the end of the day. She was always skinny but the vet told us that was normal because of her breed, and age. How old is your dog? Perhaps he still has a bit of growing to do. He looks a lot like my dog but black instead of red. I also don't see any ribs showing in your photos. I'd much rather have a thinner, healthy dog than an overweight one.
He's 10 months old, so does have a bit of filling out to do, His breed is very interesting, His dad is an English Working Cocker spaniel, but his mum is Rottweiler crossed with a Border Collie cross (we think shes got a toy breed or small terrier in her as she's smaller than a Collie never mind a Rotty)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The border collie looks like it might be being expressed a lot in the body. I think he looks perfectly fine and healthy, especially if he's still got so much more growing to do. If anyone asks, I would tell them that he has a clean bill of health from your vet and that he's still got a lot of growing to do.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He looks great to me.

Most people have become so use to seeing overweight dogs that they have no idea what a dog should look like when it's at it's ideal weight, so when they see a dog at a proper weight they think it's underweight and to skinny.

A dog should have a waist, it's belly should be tucked up between it's rear legs it shouldn't have a pot belly, when a person presses down slightly over it's ribs the ribs should be easily felt.

I'm willing to bet that if I shaved Shadow down people would tell me he's to thin when he's not. His mounds of fur have spared me from the comments lol.
That's what I thought was happening tbh, I've had people come up to me and tell me my dog's gorgeous but he could do with feeding up, as they walk past with there obviously fat dogs. It annoys me. But i'd started to get paranoid that he was skinny and I was just being biased. I just needed to confirm that he wasn't skinny.

Thanks for all the replies :D maybe next time a fat dog owner tells me he's too skinny maybe I'll tell them their dogs too fat :D

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
maybe next time a fat dog owner tells me he's too skinny maybe I'll tell them their dogs too fat
^^^ Lemme know what they say :D:thumbsup:
-She looks great to me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts