Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter brought home a dog she was supposed to care for but now she moved off to college out of state. So now dog is mine. I have fallen in love w him but I would never have procured a dog. I have 2 cats. I did a canine DNA test on him and he is German shepherd, Australian cattle dog, lab, and Staffordshire terrier mix. Mostly German shepherd and cattle dog according to test. I'm 52 and work 12 hour shifts 3-4 days/week and am sedentary otherwise cuz I'm tired. I play fetch w Zuko but we otherwise stay inside. He stays in fenced in back yard while I'm at work. He is 1 year 4 months. I feel like I'm to old and lazy for him but we really bond well. I have some health problems that prevent me from exercising him as much as research says for the types of dogs he's comprised of. What should I do? Give him to someone younger? But I love him. Very distressed! Please reply!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I agree that you are probably not providing him enough exercise. Have you considered hiring a dog walker?

Also note, mental exercise can be quite draining to a dog. I'd suggest that in addition to a dog walker, you start training him to do silly tricks or whatever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do sit stay and come w him every day. I have to see how much a dog walker costs. He always wants to come inside now cuz we live in south Louisiana and it's been close to 100 degrees every day-another reason not walking a lot. He's a large dog also. 25-26 inches tall and between 65-70#

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Alucia
I am a senior, and exercise my lab mixes by riding an adult tricycle with them running slowly alongside. I have a special attachment for their leashes to hook onto, you can get them on Amazon for $10-20. We exercise at 6AM because it is so hot here in Texas right now. Sometimes I don't take the older one but walk her instead.
Before I did this, they would absolutely go stir crazy. Now they are happier.

Just me personally, I would not keep my dogs outdoors in the Texas summer heat all day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts