Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rottweiler I think, I need someone who knows the breed well enough to tell me if this one is purebred or not, my vet keeps telling me it is, but I have my doubts.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Really hard to tell when they are puppies, but looking at coloration and the shape of the head, I would say no. Not purebred.

Still a cute pup though :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
I agree, it doesn't look like a rottie right now. But you'll be able to tell better as the pup grows.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
238 Posts
It doesn't look like a purebred, the head shape is wrong. Still adorable though.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
There's no way that's a purebred Rottie. The head, face, body, and colors are wrong. I'm sure he has Rottie in him but he looks like a generic mixed breed. But mixed breeds are healthier anyway.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Do pure bred rottweilers ever have that much white on their chest? I always thought they just had the light brown color on each side.

Guess I better go look at some photos on the internest of some pure breds. :p

Stormy

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
doesn't look like a pure rotti.
they're usually more compact, and this one seems a bit light and lanky.
perhaps he's mixed with Schäfi.
Rottweiler can have white blotches, that makes them being not standard enough to be part of the breeding stock.
generally you can go by the rule of thumb that a dog that doesn have papers of one of the big breeding clubs will very likely have some kind of foreign breed in the mix, or at least you can't prove that they don't have it.

which doesn't make thet dog worst or better.
mixes can be very good dogs as well as purebred. the only positive aspect you've got with a purebred is that you find out more about the health history of the ancestors of dog and the personality, working ability and look will much more like be in a certain range fitting the breed.
they're a bit more predictable in character than mixes or unregistered "purebreds".

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't believe your pup is purebred, the face is a bit slimmer than I'd expect, and the white on the chest definitely throws me off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts