Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not seen her get "periods" in a while , or she licked it up. Just noticed the swelling when saw a post on this forum about mammary gland swelling.

Any idea?

Don't know her breed... (She is multi, probably more than 4 types of breeds)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's not a picture of her vulva, so I don't know. But if it is, she's probably going into heat. Some are really good at cleaning up after themselves.
Checked with the hub. She only gets her periods every 1 year, so the last time she had hers was last year.

What would that part in the picture be called?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Checked with the hub. She only gets her periods every 1 year, so the last time she had hers was last year.

What would that part in the picture be called?
Like people, dogs aren't always on time. Their heats are roughly every 6 months to a year.

The picture you posted would be her stomach....The vulva are the lips at the entrance to the vagina....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's much lower down but not captured but I have posted videos to my friend where my friend confirmed that she looks like she is swelling.

She lives in an isolated area/closed up yard with no access to stray dogs and we do not allow her to roam the neighborhood for the reasons of strays infecting her so she has no chance of ever getting pregnant.

I'll take a picture later

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Lol! Much lower down.....Not in the picture. What you showed isn't anything to do with the vulva. Where's your vulva, just for comparison purposes, vs. your stomach? I don't mean to come across as rude, but it is basic anatomy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

No, that picture turned out to be cropped out. I couldn't find the picture that showed it despite screening my whole phone so I got the closest that showed a bit of it. I recall that I had a picture of it as my friend mentioned it but didn't bother looking properly to see if that was the right one. Also I wasn't aware she was swelling. Hubby brought it to my attention. She tends to lick on it so maybe she's chewing it that's why it's red?
Is the redness visible in any of these pictures?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The top picture is a little better, and it looks like it is swollen. The redness is from licking, because they do tend to lick themselves as they are coming in. The pictures aren't the greatest, but I would say yes, she's coming in heat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The top picture is a little better, and it looks like it is swollen. The redness is from licking, because they do tend to lick themselves as they are coming in. The pictures aren't the greatest, but I would say yes, she's coming in heat.
Thank you. It was hard to get a good pic, as she fidgets a lot. It should be nothing to worry about? She itches less now, but licks her privates and paws a lot.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If she is indeed coming in heat, no, nothing to worry about. Just don't let her run loose for about two or two and a half weeks. She will lick her vulva. That's normal before and during heat. Paw licking is usually allergies of some sort.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She has allergies to canned food, so I'm getting her homecooked. So far she has shown improvements. Definitely not letting her run loose. She might get pregnant haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts