Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
My grandfather got me a dog about 2 months ago and so far he's verry happy with us. We assumed he is male, however my mother has shown a picture to one of her friends and she said that the dog is actually female... This is the picture she showed her. So is he/she male or female? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Have you not brought the dog to the vet yet? Surely the vet would tell you. From the picture, the dog looks female, but the odd angle could be hiding it. It could also have an umbilical hernia which could be mistaken for a penis (I guess). Just know that a dogs penis would be located closer to the belly, not right between its legs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the vet came twice but said nothing about its gender. i will ask him next time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What? I assumed it was a male because it has something like a penis that my friends dog which is male also has.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Can you post better pictures? Does the dog have a vulva? Does it pee from the front or the back? Its just hard to believe that y'all can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Society should not project their pre-concived bias of gender identification upon their animals...let the dog decide as it matures. Be sure to allow for gender neutral fire hydrants should the pet be uncomfortable in its development.

Sheesh, you been hiding under a rock, it is 2016.

...sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I feel the OP is a child. When I was a little girl I named my male cat Teresa because I was convinced he was a female (like me) and there was no one who could tell me otherwise.

I'm surprised their mother can't tell though....

·
Registered
247 Posts
I understand how a hernia could be confused with a penis though. When my friend's dog was 8 weeks old he said it was a girl, and I thought the hernia was a penis xD

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
That's a female. The canine penis is in the middle of the abdomen. A little nub between a dog's legs is the vulva of the female dog. Also, in a male dog there would be testicles between the hind legs. And yes, it is kind of shocking to everyone that in 2 months you couldn't tell female from male genitals. So, your dog might be in need of a new name. But I guess it's better you found out before she got pregnant.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Well I'm only 15 and this is my first dog.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you not have sex ed in school? I know it looks different on dogs but the machinery is pretty similar. Also I have to ask, are you a boy or girl?

Anyway, now you know your dog is female. Hope we helped and didn't make you feel insulted, but I have to say in the most gentle way possible that if you should get some more education on the subject of sexual biology ASAP. 15 is still a kid but unless you've been purposely sheltered by your parents (and maybe you have) that's entirely too old to not be able tell male from female parts. Let us know if you have any other questions about your new pup and caring for her.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wouldn't be too hard on folks who aren't familiar with canine physiology. It doesn't surprise me when people (no matter their age) ask how to identify if an animal is male or female, even when it seems blatantly obvious. I have had people in the past ask about cats and rabbits, because when they're young it can often be very difficult to tell gender. Dogs are easier, but if someone isn't as familiar with identifying the gender of dogs, they might be a bit confused. A few months ago I did have a grown, intelligent woman ask me how I knew the dog prancing around my dog with his tail up was male... to me it was obvious, but the woman had rarely been around dogs and didn't know, so I just took the opportunity to educate her a bit about dogs. We ended up going into a lot more than just gender, we talked about diet, behavior, health, and more. All of which we wouldn't have gone into if I had just laughed at her for not knowing the difference between genders. A person's education always begins with the simplest of questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your answers. I'm a boy. Yeah of course I know about sex but when it comes to humans not dogs. Here are some more photos, just to make sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.