Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lady runs around like her tail's on fire. Then she stops, sways, and stumbles. Within a few minutes she can't stand up and her eyes are glassy and distant, she can't make eye contact and flinches away when I touch her. She becomes unresponsive to stimuli. She slumps and falls into a coma-like sleep thst I can't wake her from. In 20min or so she'll wake up slightly better and repeat the process for hours until she starts acting normal.

Ladybug is a 16-month-old chihuahua/terrier mix. She had her first episode in April or May, not long after we moved to a new town to live with relatives. I took her to the vet of course and they told me it was marijuana ingestion. Well two weeks later it happened again. She was fine by the next day. There were a few months after that where she had no problems. It could be a coincidence... but my addict cousin had been kicked out around that time, which makes me wonder if he gave her something. A few weeks after he came back he got high and the next day Lady was having another episode.

Just before he left a few days ago she had yet another. Since he's been gone she's had two more.

Whatever is happening appears to be getting more frequent. It's scaring me. I'm taking her to get checked out tomorrow but I'm wondering if anyone here might know what's happening to my girl.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know there are a lot of things that can cause seizures in dogs (if that's what is happening) and I'm keeping an open mind.

I contacted the woman who rescued Lady's mother and no seizures in her or the other pups to her knowledge.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Those episodes certainly do not sound like typical seizures, but they are likely some seizure-related neurological problem (possibly due to hydrocephalus, a common chihuahua illness). It may require an MRI to properly diagnose your pet, which are pretty costly diagnostic tools, but well worth the cost if you can manage it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts