Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pug is five and was only super active when he was a puppy. He sleeps most of the day but will be active when his "sister" (my brother's dog) comes over. He will usually greet us or at least sit up and wag his tail, but for the past few days he doesn't even look up when we come home. I work from home now, so perhaps when I do leave the house he doesn't get so excited because I wasn't gone for very long? He will still get up for his food, but doesn't spin around and around like usual.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dogs can and do get depressed, but based on what you are describing it sounds like a health issue. Some dogs can get chronic pain, especially pugs (because of their physiology). It may be a back problem or something else. I would get him to the vet for a check-up.

My dog gets the same symptoms; he has chronic pain and is on medication for it. Dogs with pain will be less active, may avoid eye contact or sudden movements and may avoid physical contact. They may not want to stand (especially on slippery surfaces) or run (though at times when they are feeling better or when really excited they'll do it anyways). Chronic pain can come and go, some days are worse, some are better.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts