Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister lives out in the country and was baby sitting my dog and about a week ago, the neighbours were having a family reunion, lots of noise and people with young kids around. My dog and her dog decided to go visit the neighbours and see what all the commotion was about.

The neighbors phoned my sister and asked her to pick the two up, her dog went straight home but mine was still busy running around through all the children because she was so excited about all these new people and kids. She just hasn't been introduced to so much going on at one time yet.

My dog is an 11 month old kelpie lab cross and has been the smartest, easiest dog I've ever had to train. She always listens to me and is SO happy-go-lucky. Always super friendly to new people I introduce her to, I've never seen any issue with her or worried about her in any way.

A week later the neighbour told me that my dog threatened to bite at him because he grabbed her collar and tried to stop her from running around during the family reunion.

I understand that my dog definitely shouldn't have been visiting the neighbors place, but I want to know what everyone thinks about this. The guy has met my dog only a few times so I would consider them basically strangers. Is this normal behavior from a dog just trying to protect herself? Or is this something that I should be seriously concerned about? I have a very hard time believing that this incident is true. My dog has never acted that way at any point at all in her life thus far.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I understand that my dog definitely shouldn't have been visiting the neighbors place, but I want to know what everyone thinks about this. The guy has met my dog only a few times so I would consider them basically strangers. Is this normal behavior from a dog just trying to protect herself? Or is this something that I should be seriously concerned about? I have a very hard time believing that this incident is true. My dog has never acted that way at any point at all in her life thus far.
That's part of the issue right there, and if it goes no further then I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe have someone else try to grab her collar, see what she does.

But...

People expect all dogs to be kind and gentle, no matter what they do to the dog. Most dog owners know to at least respect the dog. When this pup is off leash, people want to pet him and he's cool with it - but they are warned not to grab him or try to pick him up - he will bite.

I pity the fool that tries to steal my dog, nice white - painfully sharp - teeth.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it but I'd take Jagger's suggestion and try having other people grab her collar and see how she reacts.

There's way to many variables at play at the reunion, to say why she might have reacted the way she did.

What someone else considers threatening to bite I may not. She might have been doing a submissive grin and it looked like a smile to him.

She may have actually been growling, asking to be let go, or him to back off. Even with that there are so many variables as to why she might have acted the way she did. Did she have something that she might have been guarding. Did the guy approach her in a threatening manner.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree with @Rain here. I would definitely be more careful about where your pup is allowed to go without you, but a lot of times people think dogs are getting ready to bite when they just aren't. Bandit will growl at me and Christian in bed when we scoot too close to him because Christian has rolled over him a few times and he wants to make sure we know he's there, he would never try to bite and if we say his name or otherwise acknowledge his presence he won't make a peep. He's also a loud player so I get visitors who think he's gonna eat Sadie when they play because of all the noises he makes.

I would test the collar grabbing to make sure it isn't an issue, but you know your dog best and going by your description it sounds more like your dog was startled and wanted the neighbor to know "hey you grabbed my collar!" more then anything. I'd probably put up a bit of a fuss if someone grabbed me when I wasn't expecting it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts