Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dealing with this issue for the past couple months..

My dog sleeps in his crate at night time because he has a habit of peeing on the carpet in the middle of the night. A couple months ago he started having this weird cough. It's a closed mouth honking cough followed by him opening his mouth and making a retching sound. Most times nothing comes out when he retches but every so often he will throw up some white/yellow foam.

I took him to the vet where they ran some tests and they all came back that he is extremely healthy.

There were more tests they wanted to try, including putting a camera down his throat but I wanted to give it more time to see if I could pinpoint where the problem was coming from.

For the past few weeks I haven't put him in his crate and he hasn't been coughing AT ALL. So I'm beginning to think there is an irritant in his crate that is causing this?? I just put him back in his crate 2 nights ago after washing everything in it. The first night he was fine and last night he started coughing again.... Just violently honking for about a minute around 5:30.. and then doing the normal honking/retching around 7:30. This normally happens in the early morning between 4-7am.

The crate has the normal metal wiring with plastic pan. It has a foam bed with a cover and I put a blanket on top of that.

He has been sleeping in this crate for years and has had no problems before. I have tried washing all of the bedding and putting water in his crate as well which he is drinking plenty of.

He is a 7 year old Cairn Terrier Mix. He has no other symptoms.

Has anyone else gone through something like this? When I removed his crate and had him sleep in his bed he wasn't coughing at all.

I'm so lost!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He eats Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon. I did have to change his food because they stopped selling Wee Bits. So that may have been around the same time... He always eats 3/4 cup to 1 cup in the evening when I get home from work.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Could it be the foam? Does he lay on foam anywhere else but the crate? Where is the crate at? Is it near anything that he doesn't normally otherwise sleep by (plants or something unusual)?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Maybe it is the detergent you use to wash the blankets. You can get detergent that does not have dyes and perfume in it. The yellow bile is usually caused by an empty stomach. When the stomach gets empty the gas builds up and causes the bile. Do you feed once or twice a day?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
The yellow bile is usually caused by an empty stomach. When the stomach gets empty the gas builds up and causes the bile. Do you feed once or twice a day?
Thats what I was thinking too. I'd try giving him a small treat (or small handfull of kibble saved from dinner) right before bed. Something small, not enough to make him need to go potty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be the foam? Does he lay on foam anywhere else but the crate? Where is the crate at? Is it near anything that he doesn't normally otherwise sleep by (plants or something unusual)?

When I removed the crate I put his bed right where it was and he had no problems with it. I was thinking that maybe it is the foam too? I tried switching out the blanket and that didn't change anything..

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Wee Bits is back for sale..I feed it also.
I would 1/2 cup in the am and 1/2 in the pm so he does not have so long between meals. It also helps if he is a stressful dog..A little stress can cause the acids to increase in his stomach..so feeding twice a day will keep the acids down..:)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I know foam can trap molds and allergens...try not putting it in the crate and see if he continues to have the same symptoms...Here are some allergens to rule out:
What Substances Can Dogs Be Allergic To?

A few common allergens include:

Tree, grass and weed pollens
Mold spores
Dust and house dust mites
Dander
Feathers
Cigarette smoke
Food ingredients (e.g. beef, chicken, pork, corn, wheat or soy)
Prescription drugs
Fleas and flea-control products (The bite of a single flea can trigger intense itchiness for two to three weeks!)
Perfumes
Cleaning products
Fabrics
Insecticidal shampoo
Rubber and plastic materials

1 - 10 of 10 Posts