Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got this dog when she was 3 months old. She is so cute. We thought she was a coonhound mix at first. Then we researched and she doesn't have the face or ears for a coonhound. Then we thought she was a vizsla. She doesn't have the ears for that either. She kind of looks like a lab in the face, but I am lost as to what she may be. I would love to put this to rest finally. She is a reddish brown. Very slim in the waist area. Bigger in her chest sera. Small head. Long tail that gets dark at the end, wirey hair. Very playful and extremely active. Lots of extra skin in the neck and chest area. Please help if you can. Pictures are from a couple months ago. I think around Halloween. So she has gotten bigger, but not changed in any specific Area. Just bigger in size bit still the SMS shape. Her face is a little more matured now.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I don't see vizsla. I see what's called a walker hound here; my neighbor has a couple that look just like your dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for helping my husband thinks she is mixed with beagle but she's bigger than a beagle would be. I took her to the vet about two months ago and she weighted in at 38lbs. I looked up walker hound lab mix and nbeagle mix and found pics just like her in both. This has been the story since we got her. I want to buy the genetic test but it seems like a lot of money for not very accurate results. The ones I found say they work best in dogs with only two breeds, but I am not sure if that is the case with her..

·
Registered
391 Posts
The wisdom panel genetics tests seem to work well when there are only two or three breeds in the mix. Essentially the great grandparents on both sides need to be purebred in order to get a semi accurate result. In my experience, it wasn't really worth the money. We only found out one side in results, and the other just said mixed breed. It gave us percentages that it could be, but they weren't very high, 20% was the highest it could suggest.

There are people who do like the wisdom panel tests though, and it might be worth a shot if you have an extra 60 bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts