Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend gave me this dog and told me it's a purebreed doxie. I saw the mom and dad and they were shorthaired black and brown shiny sausages. So i was pretty confident that they had a litter of purebreed doxies. But I really want your guys' opinion. He's 1 month and 16 days old, he's also really bony even though I feed him 3 times a day, but small portions. I've read that pure doxies have that trait but im not really sure anymore. Screenshot_20210602-183121_Gallery.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,972 Posts
If it was a purebred, it's unlikely he would be given away. He really ought to be with his mum for another couple of weeks though.

·
Administrator
1,162 Posts
My friend gave me this dog and told me it's a purebreed doxie. I saw the mom and dad and they were shorthaired black and brown shiny sausages. So i was pretty confident that they had a litter of purebreed doxies. But I really want your guys' opinion. He's 1 month and 16 days old, he's also really bony even though I feed him 3 times a day, but small portions. I've read that pure doxies have that trait but im not really sure anymore. View attachment 250793 View attachment 250791 View attachment 250792 View attachment 250793 View attachment 250794
Hi. Welcome to the forum. :)

He's gorgeous - I love his colour, but at 6 weeks old, he's too young to be away from Mum and his litter mates. What reason did your friend give?

At this stage, it's impossible to tell whether he's a pedigree, and littermates can be sired by different fathers. Looking at the size of his paws, he's going to be a big boy, so it is possible he's a cross.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

He's gorgeous - I love his colour, but at 6 weeks old, he's too young to be away from Mum and his litter mates. What reason did your friend give?

At this stage, it's impossible to tell whether he's a pedigree, and littermates can be sired by different fathers. Looking at the size of his paws, he's going to be a big boy, so it is possible he's a cross.

Well, my friend loves doxies and has a small farm, and the doxies always make sure to get rid of rats or mices, so that's a reason he has so many. I have another doxie, a female, she's 2 years old and recently gave birth to unfortunately only one pup, and the difference between them is 2 weeks and they get along really well. My female, Laika is really caring and sweet, and I knew for sure she would accept the pup, so we had no problems with that. I didn't know paw size means something. His parents are pretty small so I didn't think about him growing big. At what age can I tell if he's purebred? Some people tell me you can't have purebred doxies if they have white spots, I really don't know what to believe anymore

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was a purebred, it's unlikely he would be given away. He really ought to be with his mum for another couple of weeks though.
Why would It be unlikely, i'm friends with that guy since I was 10 and we live 5 minutws away, and still go out sometimes. He is also a vet, and made sure to get the pup's health book and vaccines

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
no no no he shouldnt be away from mum he's far too young.

Please consult a vet about a proper and nourishing feeding programm for this pup. Although ideally he should be returned to mum getting her milk and attention.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Why would It be unlikely, i'm friends with that guy since I was 10 and we live 5 minutws away, and still go out sometimes. He is also a vet, and made sure to get the pup's health book and vaccines

Ive just noticed this post ...IF your friend is a vet and giving pups away at 6 weeks he should be struck off. totally irresponsible.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It would be unlikely in the US or Canada or Britain, not sure about the country you are in. If your friend is a vet, he should know that puppies need to be with their mothers longer that 6 weeks, I should think.
But again, there may be a cultural difference here that is affecting the decision....maybe it is typical to have pups leave their mother earlier where you are.

If the parents look like dachshunds, then this one probably is also, although the person who gave him to you should know, ....?
Why do you think the pup might not be purebred?

Dachshund puppies do have large feet; it's hard to tell if yours has unusually large feet because it may be a distortion in the photo. Once the dog is grown you will know whether or not it is purebred or mostly dachshund or not by appearance. But it doesn't really matter, right? You love the pup. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
My friend gave me this dog and told me it's a purebreed doxie. I saw the mom and dad and they were shorthaired black and brown shiny sausages. So i was pretty confident that they had a litter of purebreed doxies. But I really want your guys' opinion. He's 1 month and 16 days old, he's also really bony even though I feed him 3 times a day, but small portions. I've read that pure doxies have that trait but im not really sure anymore. View attachment 250793 View attachment 250791 View attachment 250792 View attachment 250793 View attachment 250794
Hello! Welcome to the forum!
I am not exactly sure, you can’t tell when they are this age, but if his parents are purebreds, he is probably one too.
What I am more concerned about is that he is 6 weeks old. He should be with his mother! Just like you wouldn’t let a human less than 18 years old live on their own, your pup shouldn’t be away from his mom at this age.
Ask your friend why he is being given to you at this age. He is way too young, he was supposed to be given to you at minimum at 8 weeks old (Two months). Tell us what his reply is (Unless if it’s personal, of course) and we will decide if it’s valid.
Thanks for reaching out!

·
Registered
Gary - Purebred Mutt
233 Posts
At this age it's really hard to tell. He's definitely got Doxie, but whether or not he's pure bred who knows.
I know others have already said this, but he should be with his mom for a couple more weeks.

I think maybe you are being taken advantage of. Unless you are absolutely the best of friends, I don't see any reason your friend would give you a 5 week old "purebred" puppy for free. Sounds to me like he isn't pure or possibly inbred by accident and your friend just wants rid of them.

·
Super Moderator
4,972 Posts
if his parents are purebreds, he is probably one too
Well, I'm being a bit pedantic but if his parents were pure bred, he will be - no probably about it.

and we will decide if it’s valid.
Sorry but that sounds a bit judgemental - perhaps we will advise the OP if it sounds reasonable? And there is nothing in the post to suggest inbreeding, is there?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you say he is a vet? Well, a responsible breeder AND vet would never separate a mother from her pups at such a young age. You may be good friends with that guy, but really, being good to you does not mean he may be good to his dogs. He may be an irresponsible breeder/vet because he gave you that puppy way too early. I recommend you visit another vet and bring you dog for a checkup to see if he is really healthy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did you say he is a vet? Well, a responsible breeder AND vet would never separate a mother from her pups at such a young age. You may be good friends with that guy, but really, being good to you does not mean he may be good to his dogs. He may be an irresponsible breeder/vet because he gave you that puppy way too early. I recommend you visit another vet and bring you dog for a checkup to see if he is really healthy.
I agree.

·
Registered
17 Posts
An adorable pup...a bit young to be away from mom, as the others have said, but he looks at least part doxie. The only way you can confirm is to do a DNA test (Embark and Wisdom Panel are both good. My vet uses Wisdom Panel) or ask to see his pedigree (if this breeder has one).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts