Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am looking for input or educated guesses on if anyone thinks my dog is purebred or not!
A little background info:
I purchased my puppy Cali from, to be honest, a non-reputable breeder online back in November. I was told she was a German shepherd/lab mix - her mother was all black with upright ears, and her father was mostly black with some tan, and also had upright ears. At the time Cali's ears were completely floppy, but slowly creeped up like her parents'.
Now I was not looking for a purebred German shepherd or any type of show/working dog, just a personal companion. As Cali got older, however, she looked less and less lab and more and more German shepherd. I am always asked if she is purebred or not, and many people think she is pure, but I think otherwise, especially because she came from non-reputable breeders.

I am used to German shepherds having broader built bodies and sloped backs, but I have also heard of certain working lines having straight backs. Cali has a straight back, I will add photos of her as a puppy and her currently!

Feedback would be great, and if anyone know the GSD breed well, I'd like your input! :)

Attachments

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
She sure is leggy which makes me wonder whether she is a purebred GSD but her head, muzzle and ears certainly look GSD.

I'll bet Cali has some serious speed.

FWIW, I'm usually pretty lame at the guessing game of what breeds my dog might be. No doubt she looks more GSD than Lab. Great looking dog regardless.

Oh, Cali looks lean and mean, very fit. That's just the way to keep them.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I doubt it. How much does she weight/how tall is she? If she isn't a purebred she's probably something like 3/4 GSD. You can always get a DNA test to check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is about 60lbs now, not sure how tall. And yes I've done a cheek swab DNA test and it came back 75% GSD. I'm not sure how accurate these tests are though, but the other breeds listed were Great Dane, Springer spaniel, and husky (all about 10-20%).
One of the vet techs at our vet said they tried one of these tests on a pure bred and the results came back mixed :/

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I doubt it. How much does she weight/how tall is she? If she isn't a purebred she's probably something like 3/4 GSD. You can always get a DNA test to check.
Wow ! you nailed that one per the " And yes I've done a cheek swab DNA test and it came back 75% GSD."

Ummm, what are your thoughts regarding which numbers will win the next Powerball lottery?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree I would say she probably not pure bred or at most a really badly bred gsd. She deffinitly looks to have a good amount of gsd in her though. There are sable gsds but from what i can tell she looks more lanky and less broader and solidly built. Maybe she has some lankier shepherd that is simaler in appearance/build to gsds.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Ummm, what are your thoughts regarding which numbers will win the next Powerball lottery?
If they're now basing the Powerball on guessing dog breeds I think I could definitely win! =P

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
She looks like a pretty average Schäfi(mix) to me.
As long as you don't have papers to prove that there weren't any other breeds involved, I'd continue calling her a mix tohugh.

the sloped back and the overly angled backlegs that you can find in some Backyard bred lines and extreme showlines aren't desirable anyway.

this doesn't mean there couldn be problems with the hips though!
a lot of bigger breeds, among them Labs and Schäfis, have problems with the bones, so especially when you don't trust the breeder too much I'd perhaps have a vet check her when she's fully grown (around 2 years).

she seems pretty slim, but not unusually thin for a female dog that is probably not fully grown yet.
teenage dogs are often a bit more on the lanky side and bigger breeds grow slower....most Schäfis are more "finished" with their adolescence when they're around 2,5-3 years old.
It's possible for your dog to be much less leggy by then because she build up more muscles (please make sure she has enough exercise but not too much, so there's enough muscles to support her bones and joints).
Some of the dogs with a more dual purpose, sports or working breed background can also be in the smaller side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely looks like there's some sort of sighthound in the mix there. Greyhound, whippet, deerhound, maybe?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts