Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My wife and I recently adopted a dog from our local shelter and are curious to know more about her breed. The adoption papers had her listed a “shepherd mix”. After some more research we think she may be close to a full Belgian Malinois. We didn’t really consider the Belgian aspect until out on a walk recently, when we were stopped by a police officer who approached us, and was very fond of our pup, and had convinced himself that she was a Mal. Based on my reading and pictures, it seems like she’s a pretty good fit, and her “personality” also fits closely with what is typical of a Mal, but I figure there may be some people on this forum that have a more discerning eye that could lend an opinion. Luckily, my wife and I have some experience with training, because she requires a lot of daily training and exercise, which makes me feel like a Malinois background is even more likely. Pictures below…

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Doesn't look like a mal to me. Too big, and mostly GSD looking. The tail is GSD as well. It could possibly be a Gsd/mal mix, but that's very doubtful. I would say mostly GSD with a touch of something else thrown in.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I personally do not see any malinois in her. People are pretty quick to cry "malinois" at any shepherd with a black mask, but she doesn't have any other physical characteristics. Malinois have a very distinct, angular fox-like face. Just looks like a German shepherd mix to me.

Malinois on the left, GSD on the right, just to compare.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I agree, looks more GSD than Mal to me, mixed with a bit of something else. Very pretty dog either way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks pretty close my "shepherd mix" from the humane society, but your girl is much bigger than mine! How old? How tall at the shoulder? Just trying to get an idea of what my girl may be, from the responses here. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts