Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Sadie
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 8-year-old female Chihuahua at the house that has been trained not to pee from about 9:30 pm before the owner goes to bed until about 10 am when the owner lets her go outside. This dog used to poop and pee inside the house very often until a few years ago when the owner started training her by keeping her in a small cage at night. Now she is well trained and would wait until the owner lets her go outside even when she is not in her cage. I'm not a dog person so I don't know if this is a normal thing to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Crate training is a very good way of training your dog not to potty in the house. All 4 of our dogs have been trained that way and they do great. They do sometimes need to go out at night, but mostly our 8 month old Rough Collie is the one wanting to go out and the others go out to bark. Our oldest dog (a mutt) will stay in my brother's room from 8:30pm until 7:30-8:00am. So it is completely normal. She will probably tell you if she desperately has to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,044 Posts
Crate training helps in so much as a dog will prefer to hold their toilet (if physically possible) than soil their crate. That said, it would be wrong to force the dog to hold longer than she is comfortable.

But in the other side of that same argument, my dog nags to be let out for his last toilet before 9.00 pm. In the morning, despite plenty of opportunity, he will happily stay in his bed and be coaxed out at 10.00 am or later.

So, as long as the dog is comfortable, just pay attention and listen to her signals.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like the previous replies have said...its pretty normal. She'll let you know when she really has to go out...my previous pup would hold it if it was raining (he hated rainy days with a passion) and I think his record was almost 17 hours before he was desperate enough to go out in the rain. (I know rain isn't the issue with this pup...but just giving my experience with a long-term potty holding pup)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think that's WAY too long to make a dog hold it in. Later on in life, the dog will probably have bladder issues due to it too. And, while I'm not a medical professional... I have to wonder about the toxins that build up in the blood stream because the bladder's full and the kidney's can process anymore waste until the bladder is empty.

Also, I don't know if anyone here has ever had to hold it in for a Long Time and by the time you were able to get to the bathroom you were in actual Pain before getting to the toilet due to the bladder having so much pressure.

I try to make sure my dogs are let out about every 4 hours, and at night...they end up with about a 6 to 7 hour wait. I know they can hold it longer, and on a very rare occasion waited 9 hours but that's been about it. I would never expect, nor want them to have to hold it for 12 Hours.

It just seems outright cruel to me to make a dog only pee 1 time a day. It has to be uncomfortable, and maybe even painful and in the long run unhealthy for the dog....just because it's 'convenient' for the owner.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Ours will usually manage to go through the night without having to go out, variable number of hours, depending on when we go to bed and when we wake up, but she always has the option of letting us know if she needs to relieve herself, whenever, and she has no problem waking one of us, if she needs to. Doesn't happen often, fortunately, but she absolutely will let us know if it becomes urgent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think that's WAY too long to make a dog hold it in. Later on in life, the dog will probably have bladder issues due to it too. And, while I'm not a medical professional... I have to wonder about the toxins that build up in the blood stream because the bladder's full and the kidney's can process anymore waste until the bladder is empty.

Also, I don't know if anyone here has ever had to hold it in for a Long Time and by the time you were able to get to the bathroom you were in actual Pain before getting to the toilet due to the bladder having so much pressure.

I try to make sure my dogs are let out about every 4 hours, and at night...they end up with about a 6 to 7 hour wait. I know they can hold it longer, and on a very rare occasion waited 9 hours but that's been about it. I would never expect, nor want them to have to hold it for 12 Hours.

It just seems outright cruel to me to make a dog only pee 1 time a day. It has to be uncomfortable, and maybe even painful and in the long run unhealthy for the dog....just because it's 'convenient' for the owner.

Stormy
I agree with you. I know how many times I have to go a day. It's not fair to expect more out of a dog, for bathroom habits than you can do. Mine go out between 5 and 6 times a day. The last pee is at around 9pm, and the first is around 6am. They don't always go, but I give then the chance, because sometimes they need it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I love the people with houses and yards that have the luxury of letting their dogs out a million times a day who must not work and get to stay home all day.
I've lived in the city for my whole life and had several dogs and boarded probably fifty city dogs in my place over the years. All were fine waiting twelve hours, big dogs and little dogs.
They adjust to their lives
It's way better than dying in a shelter or in the streets.
My dogs have always been smart and don't drink when I'm not home or after we get back at night from a walk or the dog park. They drink with their meals and when we're out knowing I'll give them more chances to go but don't drink when I'm at work.

My last dog lived to be almost twelve and never had any kidney or bladder or any health issues at all until he developed a genetic degenerative spinal disease that he eventually died from complications of. Nothing I could have done to prevent that.

Just like I don't drink a lot if I'm going to be at the dog park or traveling for hours, my dogs have quickly figured out not to drink a lot when I'm at work or before going to sleep.

Many times I'll ask my dog if he wants to go out after twelve or more hours on the weekends and he just rolls over and stretches out his belly for a belly rub and doesn't want to get up.

If it's raining or snowing he turns around and goes right back in. Sometimes he'll pee really fast and run back in and not poop other times he's like forget it and won't go at all

I didn't housebreak him either. I got him at sixteen months old and he was already perfectly housebroken.
He hates crates and broke out of one at his last home before me and I never put him in a crate he's always loose in my place.
I even found a vet hospital that accommodates him and ties him in their back area for tests and vet work instead of crating him to keep him less stressed.
He's also huge so probably has a bigger bladder. He's around 95-100 pounds. I can easily sleep 10-12 hours and not have to go if I don't drink a lot before bed.
If he asks and I'm home I take him.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I love the people with houses and yards that have the luxury of letting their dogs out a million times a day who must not work and get to stay home all day.
I've lived in the city for my whole life and had several dogs and boarded probably fifty city dogs in my place over the years. All were fine waiting twelve hours, big dogs and little dogs.
They adjust to their lives
It's way better than dying in a shelter or in the streets.
My dogs have always been smart and don't drink when I'm not home or after we get back at night from a walk or the dog park. They drink with their meals and when we're out knowing I'll give them more chances to go but don't drink when I'm at work.

My last dog lived to be almost twelve and never had any kidney or bladder or any health issues at all until he developed a genetic degenerative spinal disease that he eventually died from complications of. Nothing I could have done to prevent that.

Just like I don't drink a lot if I'm going to be at the dog park or traveling for hours, my dogs have quickly figured out not to drink a lot when I'm at work or before going to sleep.

Many times I'll ask my dog if he wants to go out after twelve or more hours on the weekends and he just rolls over and stretches out his belly for a belly rub and doesn't want to get up.

If it's raining or snowing he turns around and goes right back in. Sometimes he'll pee really fast and run back in and not poop other times he's like forget it and won't go at all

I didn't housebreak him either. I got him at sixteen months old and he was already perfectly housebroken.
He hates crates and broke out of one at his last home before me and I never put him in a crate he's always loose in my place.
I even found a vet hospital that accommodates him and ties him in their back area for tests and vet work instead of crating him to keep him less stressed.
He's also huge so probably has a bigger bladder. He's around 95-100 pounds. I can easily sleep 10-12 hours and not have to go if I don't drink a lot before bed.
If he asks and I'm home I take him.
Well, this just shows, to me, that every dog and every situation is different.
I think ideally no one human or dog should have to go 12 hours without peeing.
But I have been in a situation in which at times my dogs have had to wait that long, and while I felt bad about it it didn't actually harm them since it was not a regular thing. I certainly try to get back home in a reasonable amount of time, 6 hours at most if possible, but it doesn't always work.

And if a person works outside the home then leaving the dog for those hours is very common and seems to me OK. I think the important thing is that the dog gets what he or she needs in terms of attention and exercise, and that can certainly be accomplished with an owner who works full time and is gone for 8 or 9 hours. I know because I have done it myself.

Once a dog is grown up, of course it is OK to leave them at home while you are at work. It's what we all do.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Human or dog...living one's live mostly in a dehydrated state can't be any more healthy than only being allowed to pee every 12 hours. : (

I also firmly believe in "Just because you can...Doesn't mean you Should"

And this holds true in things you can make your dog do, but probably shouldn't.
I think it's wrong to only let a dog pee 1 time in 12 hours, and vets seem to think that 10 hours should be the max, and that usually only younger dogs can do this comfortably. The older a dog gets, the more difficult and painful it becomes and health issues can start due to it.

Here are some issues that dogs can experience due to having to 'hold it' for more than 10 hours.
In the article, there are also some alternative things that a person....like someone living in a city...can do to make their dog's life more comfortable in this regards.

Also, I have lived in apartments before...however, I managed to make it home for lunch to do so - had to leash them up and take them to an area behind the apartments so they could go.
And on those days I couldn't leave for lunch, I had a sister who could go to my home and do so. There were some rare occasions when I didn't get home and they had to wait 9 to 10 hours, but never 12 hours.

Stormy

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
24 Posts
We live on a 10-acre farm and there is almost always someone home to let my dogs out during the day, and when we are gone for the day or several hours, they are able to be outside the whole time (except for the winter when it's really cold). At night they sometimes will have to go out, but sometimes they can make it through. Just saying what we do with our dogs. I've never lived in an apartment so I wouldn't know the difficulties of having a dog inside all day. It probably is bad for them to have to wait for so long, but I really wouldn't know. This is just my input. 😊

1 - 12 of 12 Posts