Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you have a dog. And they keep getting mast cell cancer. Each time you have to have it surgically removed. The surgeries average at about 1k each. Is it ever ethical to put a dog down, because it has to keep going through surgeries? Aslo it must be taking a huge financial toll on the owner after so many surgeries.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If the dog recovers well and is otherwise okay and happy, then I would do whatever I could to keep them around.

I asked a vet recently if my 12 year old dog was too old for hip surgery, his answer was along the lines that people of equivalent age get knee or hip replacement surgery all the time, so no she's not too old and if she's healthy enough and it's the best option, then it's worth it.

Same with the dog you're asking about. If it was a person, we don't think it's unethical to give them the medical treatment they need, if it's benefiting them, we do what we can for them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what if the cancer keeps coming back, and the owner pays thousands of dollars, just to have the cancer come back again? A hip replacement surgery is usually a one time thing. I'm sure most people wouldn't want to go through it multiple times.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. I know myself, I would not put an older dog through numerous surgeries if he was in pain and not enjoying life. Sometimes the kindest thing you can do is have them euthanized.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When is it time for the rainbow bridge:

For my experience, I would let the dog go until it noticeably has trouble eating drinking, peeing and pooping, walking and standing. Is in noticeable pain and suffering and not so noticeable. Just not themselves. I regret that we gave our dog a treatment that had worked before, but the last time didn’t work. He got worse. We decided that when they get that old (he was twelve) to just let him be. It’s very stressful for the animal and the human to keep running back and forth to the vet. Let alone the expense. Every animal is different. Every animal owner has different thinking how they want their pet to live out their life. When multiple systems start breaking down, for me, it’s time. When I can no longer keep them comfortable, and they start suffering it’s time. Everyone has their own limit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Depends on how long it takes for the tumor to come back..if its once a year than yeah its worth it..and if the dog enjoys going for walks, eating, than that's a life, if the cancer is killing him internally that's one thing but if its something that is easily removable and only comes ever so often and he's happy than Id keep him alive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts