Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was younger my friends and I used to feed my dog a lot of chocolate, especially on Halloween. I have heard since that chocolate is especially bad for dogs for some reason. Does anyone know if this is true and, if so, why?

I'm not looking to feed my dog Hershey's bars and let him drink chocolate milk, but I have given him the occasional piece and want to make sure I'm not hurting him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
chocolate is reallly bad for dogs. If given enough or some over a long period of time it can kill the dog.
It's the coco in the chocolate that kills.

Try making some Carob stuff for you dog...that is fine for them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
YES, IT IS VERY TRUE!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT feed
any more chocolate to your dogs, it is like
poison to them and there is no specific
antidote for this poisoning!

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact
your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the
the proper treatment for your pet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
My Dad always used to give our Lab Chocolate!!!! We never knew then about it being bad and neither did the dog either...as he was fine!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Things that are poisonous to dogs and present immediate threat to their health and wellbeing are

-chocolate
-antifreeze

These foods over time can cause organ damage

-onions
-graps
-apple seeds
-avocodo pits

These foods can cause stomach upset

-milk

This list is not complete but those are the main ones as far as I know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Chocolate is very bad for dogs.

My dog winnie ate a huge king size hershey bar when we werent home my dad accidently left it on the nightstand in his bedroom and when we came home there was only half of the wrapper. So far she is ok this happened about a year ago but it scared me half to death when I found the empty wrapper on the floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Yip chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

To add to your list as well trickster, cooked bones are VERY bad too. They can splinter inside them and cut them, get stuck or even make them choke, not to mention what it can do to their bowels. Also garlic is bad for dogs too I've heard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Annie my 15 year old dachshund ate an entire bag of nestle chocolate chips a year ago. She got sick really fast...I looked around the house to see if I could find what she had gotten into and I found the empty bag. I rushed her to the vet. She was very sick, but $900.00 later I was able to bring her home. I learned a valuable lesson that day and I now keep all chocolate in high cupboards :)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top